Osteomyelitis is an acute infection of the bone that can occur from direct or indirect invasion by a pathogen. Direct invasion is also referred to as exogenous or acute contagious osteomyelitis and can occur any time if there is an open wound in the body. Indirect invasion is also referred to as endogenous or acute hematogenous osteomyelitis and usually occurs from the spread of systemic infection. Both of these types can potentially progress to subacute and chronic osteomyelitis. Acute osteomyelitis typically refers to an infection of less than 1 month duration, whereas chronic osteomyelitis refers to an infection that lasts longer than 4 weeks.
Osteomyelitis Epidemiology Segmentation in the 7MM
- Total Diagnosed Incident Cases
- Severity-specific Diagnosed Cases
- Gender-specific Diagnosed Cases
- Age-specific Diagnosed Cases
- Etiology-specific Diagnosed Cases
- Location-specific Diagnosed Cases
- Laterality-specific Diagnosed Cases
The total number of incident cases of Osteomyelitis observed in the 7MM was observed to be 162K in the year 2021
The highest diagnosed Osteomyelitis population accounting for 93K cases, was found in the United States, followed by EU5 (47K) and Japan (22K) in the year 2021.
The market size of Osteomyelitis in the 7MM was found to be approximately USD 2,700 million in 2021
Osteomyelitis Market Strengths
A better understanding of disease pathophysiology, etiology, and progression of the disease has enriched the clinical practice.
Osteomyelitis Market Opportunities
Approval of new therapies will provide better treatment options.
- DALVANCE (dalbavancin): Durata Therapeutics Inc.|Allergan plc
- Ceftobiprole medocaril: Basilea Pharmaceutica,and others