Alopecia Areata Market
DelveInsight’s ‘Alopecia areata – Market Insights, Epidemiology, and Market Forecast – 2032’ report delivers an in-depth understanding of Alopecia areata historical and forecasted epidemiology as well as the Alopecia areata market trends in the United States, EU4 (Germany, France, Italy, and Spain), the UK, and Japan.
The Alopecia areata market report provides current treatment practices, emerging drugs, market share of individual therapies, and current and forecasted 7MM Alopecia areata market size. The report also covers the Alopecia areata procedure, SWOT analysis, and unmet medical needs to curate the best of the opportunities and assesses the underlying potential of the market.
- The United States
- EU4 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain) and the UK
Study period: 2019–2032
Alopecia areata Understanding
Alopecia areata overview
According to the National Alopecia areata Foundation (NAAF), Alopecia areata is a common autoimmune skin disease, causing hair loss on the scalp, face, and sometimes on other areas of the body, affecting people of all ages, both sexes, and all ethnic groups can develop Alopecia areata. There are different types of Alopecia areata, among which the three main forms include: Alopecia areata patchy, Alopecia totalis, and Alopecia universalis. Persistent patchy Alopecia areata, diffuse Alopecia areata, and ophiasis Alopecia are Alopecia areata’s other observed clinical variants. It is one of many recognized forms of Alopecia; Alopecia areata is the second most common form after androgenetic Alopecia. It often first appears during childhood and can be different for everyone who has it. Visible symptoms include small, coin-sized, round patches of baldness on the scalp, although hair elsewhere, such as the beard, eyebrows, eyelashes, body, and limbs, can be affected. In some people, larger areas are affected, and occasionally it can involve the whole scalp (Alopecia totalis) or even the entire body and scalp (Alopecia universalis).
Alopecia areata is known as a “polygenic disease” due to its genetic predisposition; about 20% of people with Alopecia areata have a family history. In Alopecia areata, hair loss is mainly due to inflammation caused by an attack of hair follicles by the body’s immune system, but the exact cause behind this autoimmune disorder is still unknown.
Continued in the report…
Alopecia areata Epidemiology
The epidemiology covered in the report provides historical as well as forecasted epidemiology segmented by total prevalent cases of alopecia areata, total diagnosed cases of alopecia areata, type-specific cases of alopecia areata, cases of alopecia areata based on the age of onset, severity-specific cases of alopecia areata, comorbidities associated with alopecia areata covering the United States, EU4 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain), the UK, and Japan from 2019 to 2032.
- In 2022, the total prevalent cases of Alopecia areata in the US were ~704,000 cases, which are anticipated to increase by 2032.
- The diagnosed cases of Alopecia areata were ~435,000 in the US in 2022.
- As per type-specific cases of Alopecia areata, the Alopecia areata (patchy) type accounted for ~437,000 cases, whereas beard Alopecia areata accounted for the least number of cases, i.e., ~3,500 cases in the US in 2022.
- In 2022, the cases as per the age of onset were ~592,000 cases before 40 years, whereas, after 40 years, there were ~113,000 cases in the US.
Alopecia areata Drug Chapters
Alopecia areata marketed drugs
OLUMIANT (baricitinib): Eli Lilly and Company/Incyte Corporation
OLUMIANT is an oral, selective, reversible inhibitor of JAK1 and JAK2 that works inside the body by disrupting the cytokine signaling pathway involved in the Alopecia areata by inhibiting the activation of ATPase on JAK and blocks the signal transmission to cells through STATs. Data from the two pivotal Phase III clinical trials showed that patients who received OLUMIANT achieved significant hair regrowth resulting in more scalp coverage and eyebrow and eyelash improvements. The recommended dose of OLUMIANT is 2 mg/day, increasing to 4 mg/day if treatment response is inadequate.
Alopecia areata emerging drugs
CTP-543 (deuruxolitinib): Concert Pharmaceuticals
CTP-543 (deuruxolitinib), an oral inhibitor of JAK1 and JAK2, is an investigational JAK inhibitor designed to target the immunological basis of Alopecia areata. The US FDA has granted BTD and Fast Track Designation (FTD) to CTP-543 for treating Alopecia areata. Recently, the company has presented the positive results from two Phase III studies (THRIVE-AA1, THRIVE-AA2) at the 31st European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (EADV) Congress. Furthermore, the company intends to submit the NDA and the data from the THRIVE-AA1 study to the US FDA in the first half of 2023.
Product details in the report…
PF-06651600 (ritlecitinib): Pfizer
PF-06651600 (ritlecitinib), a dual inhibitor of the TEC family of tyrosine kinases and JAK3 is an investigational oral once-daily treatment, i.e., the first in a new class of oral highly selective kinase inhibitors. The US FDA has granted BTD to PF-06651600 for treating Alopecia areata. The company recently announced positive results from two Phase III studies (ALLEGRO-IIb/III, ALLEGRO-LT). Furthermore, the US FDA and EMA have accepted the New Drug Application (NDA) and Marketing Authorization Application (MAA) for ritlecitinib in Alopecia areata.
Product details in the report…
Alopecia areata Market Outlook
Alopecia areata is a common autoimmune skin disease that causes hair loss on the scalp, face, and sometimes on other body areas. Alopecia areata treatment involves corticosteroids, topical sensitization therapy, topical irritation therapy, and others. Topical corticosteroids possess fewer side effects and are widely used as a first-line treatment for Alopecia areata; available in different formulations, shampoos, and foams, it is generally well-tolerated with patient compliance for Alopecia areata treatment. Intralesional injection of corticosteroids alone or combined with topical corticosteroids is also recommended for patchy Alopecia areata. The preferable corticosteroid is triamcinolone acetonide. Usually, 3–5 sessions are performed every 4–6 weeks. Systemic corticosteroids are used in the treatment of Alopecia areata as oral pulse therapy (PT), intravenous (IV) PT, intramuscularly (IM), or continuously (CT).
Topical sensitization with DPCP is recommended for long-lasting (>2 years) extensive Alopecia areata, Alopecia totalis, and universalis, with its use being off-label. In this modality, the sensitizer DPCP is applied to induce allergic contact dermatitis that enables hair regrowth through an unknown mechanism of action. Anthralin is an alternative to DPCP in extensive Alopecia areata or AT, especially in children, because of its fewer side effects, but it may also be performed in adults. The topical application of anthralin causes irritant dermatitis that promotes hair regrowth through an unknown mechanism of action.
Continued in the report…..
- In 2022, the US had a market size of ~USD 110 million. The market size is expected to undergo a significant shift by 2032.
- In 2022, topical steroids generated the largest revenue, i.e., ~USD 60 million in 2022, among all the other therapies in the US.
- Systemic steroids accounted for the second largest revenue share in the US, which was ~USD 22 million in 2022.
- OLUMIANT had the smallest market share, ~USD 2 million, in the US in 2022.
The United States market outlook
This section provides the total Alopecia areata market size and market size by therapies in the United States.
EU4 and the UK market outlook
The total Alopecia areata market size and market size by therapies in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom are provided in this section.
Japan market outlook
The total Alopecia areata market size and market size by therapies in Japan are provided.
Alopecia areata Drugs Uptake
This section focuses on the uptake rate of potential drugs recently launched in the Alopecia areata market or expected to be launched during the study period 2019–2032. The analysis covers the Alopecia areata market uptake by drugs, patient uptake by therapies, and sales of each drug.
This helps in understanding the drugs with the most rapid uptake and reasons behind the maximal use of new drugs and allows the comparison of the drugs based on market share and size, which again will be useful in investigating factors important in market uptake and in making financial and regulatory decisions.
Alopecia areata Development Activities
The report provides insights into different therapeutic candidates in Phase II and III. It also analyzes key players involved in developing targeted therapeutics.
Pipeline development activities
The report covers information on collaborations, acquisitions, mergers, licensing, and patent details for Alopecia areata emerging therapies.
Reimbursement Scenario in Alopecia areata
Approaching reimbursement proactively can positively impact both during the late stages of product development and after product launch. In the report, we consider reimbursement to identify economically attractive indications and market opportunities. When working with finite resources, the ability to select the markets with the fewest reimbursement barriers can be a critical business and price strategy.
Competitive Intelligence Analysis
We perform competitive market Intelligence analysis of the Alopecia areata market using various competitive intelligence tools, including SWOT analysis, PESTLE analysis, Porter’s five forces, BCG Matrix, Market entry strategies, etc. The inclusion of the analysis entirely depends upon the data availability.
Scope of the Report
- The report covers a descriptive overview of Alopecia areata, explaining its procedure, types, indications, and currently available therapies.
- Comprehensive insight has been provided into Alopecia areata epidemiology and treatment.
- Additionally, an all-inclusive account of the current and emerging therapies for Alopecia areata is provided, along with the assessment of new therapies which will impact the current treatment landscape.
- A detailed review of the Alopecia areata market, historical and forecasted, is included in the report, covering the 7MM drug outreach.
- The report provides an edge while developing business strategies by understanding trends shaping and driving the 7MM Alopecia areata market.
- The robust pipeline with novel MoA and oral RoA, increasing prevalence, and effectiveness of drugs will positively drive the Alopecia areata market.
- The companies and academics are working to assess challenges and seek opportunities that could influence Alopecia areata R&D. The therapies under development are focused on novel approaches to treat/improve the disease condition using Alopecia areata.
- Major players are involved in developing therapies for Alopecia areata. The launch of emerging therapies will significantly impact the Alopecia areata market.
- Our in-depth analysis of the pipeline assets across different stages of development (Phase III and Phase II), different emerging trends, and comparative analysis of pipeline products with detailed clinical profiles, key cross-competition, launch date along with product development activities will support the clients in the decision-making process regarding their therapeutic portfolio by identifying the overall scenario of the research and development activities.
Alopecia areata Report Insights
- Patient Population
- Therapeutic Approaches
- Alopecia areata Pipeline Analysis
- Alopecia areata Market Size and Trends
- Market Opportunities
- Impact of Upcoming Therapies
Alopecia areata Report Key Strengths
- Ten-year Forecast
- The US, EU4, the UK, and Japan Coverage
- Alopecia areata Epidemiology Segmentation
- Key Cross Competition
- Highly Analyzed Market
- Drugs Uptake
Alopecia areata Report Assessment
- Current Treatment Practices
- Unmet Needs
- Pipeline Product Profiles
- Market Attractiveness
- SWOT analysis
- What was the Alopecia areata market share (%) distribution in 2019, and how would it look in 2032?
- What would be the Alopecia areata total market size and market size by therapies across the 7MM during the forecast period (2023–2032)?
- What are the key findings pertaining to the market across the 7MM coverage, and which country will have the largest Alopecia areata market size during the forecast period (2023–2032)?
- At what CAGR is the Alopecia areata market expected to grow at the 7MM coverage level during the forecast period (2023–2032)?
- What would be the Alopecia areata market outlook across the 7MM coverage during the forecast period (2023–2032)?
- What would be the Alopecia areata market growth till 2032, and what will be the resultant market size in 2032?
- How would the market drivers, barriers, and future opportunities affect the market dynamics and subsequent analysis of the associated trends?
- What are the risk, burdens, and unmet needs of Alopecia areata?
- What is the historical Alopecia areata patient pool in the United States, EU4 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain), the UK, and Japan?
- What would be the forecasted patient pool of Alopecia areata at the 7MM coverage level?
- What will be the growth opportunities across the 7MM coverage with respect to the patient population pertaining to Alopecia areata?
- Out of the above-mentioned countries, which country would have the highest cases of Alopecia areata during the forecast period (2023–2032)?
- At what CAGR are these cases expected to grow across the 7MM coverage during the forecast period (2023–2032)?
Current treatment scenario, marketed drugs, and emerging therapies
- What are the current treatment practices in Alopecia areata, along with the approved therapy?
- What are the current treatment guidelines for Alopecia areata?
- What are the Alopecia areata marketed drugs and their MoA, regulatory milestones, product development activities, advantages, disadvantages, safety, efficacy, etc.?
- How many companies are developing therapies for Alopecia areata?
- How many emerging therapies are in the mid-stage and late stages of development for Alopecia areata?
- What are the key collaborations (Industry–Industry, Industry–Academia), mergers and acquisitions, and licensing activities related to the Alopecia areata therapies?
- What are the recent novel therapies, targets, mechanisms of action, and technologies developed to overcome the limitation of existing therapies?
- What are the clinical studies going on for Alopecia areata and their status?
- What key designations have been granted for the emerging therapies for Alopecia areata?
- What is the 7MM coverage historical and forecasted market of Alopecia areata?
Reasons to buy
- The report will help develop business strategies by understanding trends shaping and driving Alopecia areata.
- To understand the future market competition in the Alopecia areata market and an insightful review of the market.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for Alopecia areata in the 7MM coverage.
- Identifying strong upcoming players in the market will help devise strategies that will help get ahead of competitors.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for the Alopecia areata market.
- To understand the future market competition in the Alopecia areata market.