Artificial Disc Market
- The Global Artificial Disc Market has experienced substantial growth in recent years. According to research analysis, the Artificial Disc Market size was valued at over ~USD 2 Billion in 2021, and it is expected to continue growing at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of around 11.16% from 2023 to 2028.
- The leading companies working in the Artificial Disc Market include Stryker, Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Synthes (Medical Devices Business Services, Inc.), Medtronic, Globus Medical, B. Braun Melsungen AG, Orthofix Medical Inc., NuVasive Inc., Centinel Spine®, LLC, SYNERGY SPINE SOLUTIONS INC., AxioMed LLC, Spineart, NEURO FRANCE Implants, Norm Medical Devices Co. Ltd., Ackermann Medical GmbH & Co. KG, Aditus Medical, Evospine GmbH, Prodorth Spine, SIGNUS Medizintechnik GmbH, Spine Innovations SAS, and others.
Download the Sample PDF to Get More Insight @ Artificial Disc Market
The Artificial Disc Market By Product Type (Cervical And Lumbar), By Material (Metal-On-Polymer, and Others), By End User (Hospitals and Specialty Clinics), By Geography is expected to grow at a steady CAGR forecast till 2028 owing to the rising geriatric population and increasing prevalence of degenerative spine disorders.
Global Artificial Disc Market was valued at USD 1.59 billion in 2021, growing at a CAGR of 11.16% during the forecast period from 2023 to 2028 to reach USD 3.01 billion by 2028. The artificial disc market is slated towards a positive market growth owing to factors such as increasing geriatric population, rising prevalence of degenerative disc disorders, growing number of trauma cases & sports-related injuries, and increasing product development activities among other factors.
Artificial Disc Market Dynamics
One of the main drivers of the artificial disc market is the growing geriatric population around the world. Improvements in health facilities and disposable income were key factors in improving quality of life and overall life expectancy. The elderly constitute a large part of the subpopulation susceptible to many diseases and disorders such as degenerative diseases of the spine.
For instance, according to the United Nations, World Population Ageing report, in 2020, there were around 727 million people over the age of 65 worldwide. It was also noted that the number of older people is expected to double to more than 1.5 billion in the next three decades. Since the elderly population has a higher risk of bone-related diseases, such as scoliosis, degenerative disc disease, osteoporosis, and other similar diseases. So the demand for artificial disc replacement will increase during the forecast period 2023-2028 which will drive the market growth globally.
As per the research published in the Global Spine Journal, titled “Degenerative Lumbar Spine Disease: Estimating Global Incidence and Worldwide” by Ravindra et al published in 2018, approximately 266 million individuals suffered from degenerative spinal disease and lower back pain each year. The data further mentioned that in 2018, 403 million presented with symptomatic disc degeneration, 103 million with spinal stenosis, and 39 million with spondylolisthesis annually.
Furthermore, lower back pain is considered as one of the chief complaints pointing towards underlying spine-related disorder. According to the research published in the Journal of Hospital Management and Health Policy, titled “Current Epidemiology of Low Back Pain” by Mattiuzzi et al, in 2020, incidence, prevalence and disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) of LBPs are 245.9 million cases per year (15th worldwide cause), 577.0 million cases (15th worldwide cause) and 64.9 million DALYs (6th worldwide cause), respectively.
The paper further stated that the risk of LBP is marginally higher in women compared to men. Chronic lower back pain is one of the commonest complaint that may point towards an underlying serious spinal disorder.
The above-stated facts indicate the significant impact the degenerative spine disorders can have on patients’ lives. These indications are associated with a diverse range of clinical symptoms such as weakness, low extremity pain, back pain and can result in the significant reduction in the quality of life.
Surgically, degenerative disc disease is treated by two different approaches- spinal fusion approach results in the fusion of two vertebrae together, thereby limiting the motion of the spine and may cause stiffness and decreased motion of the spine. Therefore, to address the shortcomings associated with the spinal fusion procedures, spinal non fusion approaches such as artificial discs replacement are gaining popularity among end users.
Therefore, there has been a growing demand for spinal artificial discs in the market globally. These devices are gaining popularity as they are designed with the intent to provide stabilization and eliminate pain while preserving motion of the functional spinal unit. Artificial discs treat the indication while maintaining the natural structural of the spine.
Moreover, they also help in reducing the damage to adjacent discs as the artificial discs function as the natural disc and take off the pressure from the adjacent discs thereby relieving the pressure from surrounding areas.
However, limited applicability in patients with advanced bone degeneration and stringent regulatory process for market approval may be certain impeding factors to the artificial disc market growth.
Artificial Disc Market Segment Analysis
Artificial Disc Market by Product Type (Cervical and Lumbar), by Material (Metal-On-Polymer, and Others), by End User (Hospitals and Specialty Clinics), and by Geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World)
In the product type segment of the artificial discs market, the lumbar artificial discs are expected to account for the faster growth in the artificial disc market during the forecast period. This could be attributed to the higher prevalence of lumbar disc degeneration compared to cervical disc degeneration. This can be attributed to a range of factors such as degenerative disc disease, rising prevalence of obesity among others.
As per the factsheet provided by the WHO on obesity (2023), in 2016, over 1.9 billion adults in the age group of 18 years and older were overweight and over 650 million were obese. Being overweight impacts the structural integrity of the spine and puts more load on the vertebrae which may lead to back pain which may result in the deterioration of intervertebral discs in the lumbar region over time. As the area of spine commonly affected is the lumbar part, the factors mentioned above may drive the demand for artificial lumbar discs in the forecast period.
Along with that, increasing product-related safety studies in order to establish the efficacy of artificial lumbar discs offer a way to increase product reliability among end users. For instance, in July 2021, Aesculap Implant Systems, LLC announced the long-term reporting from its pivotal trial for the activl® artificial disc.
The long-term evidence (7-year study period) from the US Food and Drug Administration- non-inferiority study presented in this paper supports lumbar total disc replacement as a safe and effective treatment option for degenerative disc disorder. Such studies provide evidence ensuring long-term product safety thereby promoting their uptake in the market.
North America is expected to dominate the overall Artificial Disc Market
Among all the regions, North America is expected to account for the largest share in the artificial disc market. Owing to significant growth factors such as rising prevalence of geriatric population, increasing incidence of spinal disorders, and rising government initiatives are expected to aid in the growth of the North America Artificial Disc Market. Furthermore, high disposable income, sophisticated healthcare infrastructure, new product approvals, and increased awareness regarding the progression of spinal diseases and possible treatments also propelled the market growth in this region.
As per the data provided by the United States Bone and Joint Initiative (2023), musculoskeletal diseases affect more than one out of every two persons in the United States in the age group of 18 year and above, and affects nearly three out of four people in the age group of 65 and above. The three commonest musculoskeletal conditions which resulted in health care visits to physicians’ offices, emergency departments, and hospitals occur each year are arthritis, back pain, and trauma.
As per the data provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2019, about 40 million US workers reported the problem of low back pain. Low back pain is one of the chief complaints that indicate towards the underlying disc degeneration and may result in the replacement of spinal discs which may boost the artificial disc market growth in the country as well as the region.
Moreover, the presence of a well-regulated reimbursement channel for spine surgeries and the presence of highly equipped healthcare facilities in the United States are further expected to drive the North America Artificial Disc market during the forecast period from 2023-2028.
Furthermore, in February 2021, NuVasive Inc. acquired Simplify Medical helping the former expand their product portfolio with the acquisition of the most clinically effective cTDR technology and further distinguishes NuVasive’s cervical portfolio in the market.
Therefore, considering the parameters mentioned above coupled with factors such as mergers and acquisitions of the companies operating in the artificial disc manufacturing domain in the country, the market for artificial discs looks promising in the United States which will drive the overall North America market growth during the forecast period from 2023-2028.
Artificial Disc Companies
Some of the key market players operating in the artificial disc market includes Stryker, Zimmer Biomet, DePuy Synthes (Medical Devices Business Services, Inc.), Medtronic, Globus Medical, B. Braun Melsungen AG, Orthofix Medical Inc., NuVasive Inc., Centinel Spine®, LLC, SYNERGY SPINE SOLUTIONS INC., AxioMed LLC, Spineart, NEURO FRANCE Implants, Norm Medical Devices Co. Ltd., Ackermann Medical GmbH & Co. KG, Aditus Medical, Evospine GmbH, Prodorth Spine, SIGNUS Medizintechnik GmbH, Spine Innovations SAS, and others.
Recent Developmental Activities in the Artificial Disc Market
- In April 2021, NuVasive Inc. received product approval from the US FDA for the Simplify® Cervical Artificial Disc for two-level cervical total disc replacement (cTDR).
- In March 2018, Orthofix International N.V. acquired Spinal Kinetics LLC which helped Orthofix expand their Spine Fixation product portfolio with the inclusion of the Spinal Kinetics M6™ artificial discs.
Key Takeaways from the Artificial Disc Market Report Study
- Market size analysis for current artificial disc market size (2023), and market forecast for 5 years (2023-2028)
- The effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on this market is significant. To capture and analyze suitable indicators, our experts are closely watching the artificial disc market.
- Top key product/services/technology developments, merger, acquisition, partnership, joint venture happened for last 3 years
- Key companies dominating the global artificial disc market.
- Various opportunities available for the other competitor in the artificial disc market space.
- What are the top performing segments in 2022? How these segments will perform in 2028?
- Which is the top-performing regions and countries in the current artificial disc market scenario?
- Which are the regions and countries where companies should have concentrated on opportunities for artificial disc market growth in the coming future?
Target Audience who can be benefited from this Artificial Disc Market Report Study
- Artificial Disc products providers
- Research organizations and consulting companies
- Artificial Disc-related organization, association, forum, and other alliances
- Government and corporate offices
- Start-up companies, venture capitalists, and private equity firms
- Distributors and Traders dealing in artificial disc
- Various End-users who want to know more about the artificial disc market and latest technological developments in the artificial disc market.