Severe Asthma Market
- In 2021, the total Severe Asthma market size was USD 6,076 Million which is expected to rise during the study period (2019–2032)
- The total Severe Asthma Diagnosed Prevalent Cases in the 7MM were found to be approximately 42,612,876 cases in adults and 11,602,740 cases in the pediatric population in the year 2021, which are expected to grow during the study period, i.e., 2019–2032
- The leading companies working in the Severe Asthma Market include Teva Pharmaceutical, AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), Novartis, Sanofi, Regeneron Pharmaceutical, Avillion, 4D Pharma plc, AB Pharma, Morphosys, Roche, Avalo Therapeutics, Suzhou Connect Biopharmaceuticals, Pieris Pharma, Biosion and others.
Request a sample to unlock the CAGR for the Severe Asthma Market
DelveInsight’s ‘Severe Asthma Market Insights, Epidemiology, and Market Forecast–2032’ report delivers an in-depth understanding of the Severe Asthma, historical and forecasted epidemiology as well as the Severe Asthma market trends in the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom) and Japan.
The Severe Asthma market research report provides current treatment practices, emerging drugs, market share of individual therapies, and current and forecasted 7MM Severe Asthma market size from 2019 to 2032. The Report also covers current Severe Asthma treatment market practice, Severe Asthma market drivers and market barriers, SWOT analysis, reimbursement, market access, and Severe Asthma unmet needs to curate the best of the opportunities and assess the underlying potential of the market.
2019 to 2032
2023 to 2032
Severe Asthma Market
Severe Asthma Market Size
Severe Asthma Companies
Severe Asthma Treatment Market
Asthma is the most common chronic respiratory illness worldwide. It affects the airways in the lungs, which become inflamed and narrowed due to various triggers, making it harder for air to flow out. It is a complex activity between airway inflammation and airway remodeling that results in airway hyper-responsiveness (AHR), leading to variable and excessive airway narrowing.
It is a heterogeneous disease characterized by reversible bronchial obstruction with recurrent wheezing and airflow obstruction as its hallmark. Other features associated with asthma, such as epithelial sloughing, mucous hypersecretion, bronchial hyper-responsiveness, and mucosal edema, are variable and usually depend on the age of onset, associated comorbidities, laboratory abnormalities, and reversibility of airflow obstruction.
The characteristic symptoms of asthma include wheezing, shortness of breath, cough, a sensation of tightness in the chest, straining of neck and chest muscles, rapid breathing, and changes in heart rate. These symptoms typically worsen at night and after exposure to triggers, such as environmental allergens, upper respiratory tract infections, tobacco, cold air, and exercise.
NAEPP/EPR guidelines broadly classify asthma into intermittent or persistent. Persistent asthma is further sub-divided based on severity into mild, moderate, and severe.
NIH Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of asthma characterize severe persistent asthma by symptoms that tend to be continual, cause limitations in physical activity, and are generally associated with frequent and severe exacerbations. Most individuals with severe asthma have frequent nighttime symptoms and persistent airflow obstruction with a forced expiratory volume (FEV1) of less than 60% predicted before treatment. Based on the response to treatment, severe asthma is further classified into type-2 inflammation and non-type-2 inflammation. Type-2 inflammation includes allergic asthma and eosinophilic asthma (or e-asthma) while non-type-2 inflammation includes non-eosinophilic asthma.
Most people with asthma can manage their symptoms well with the usual medicines like a preventer inhaler and a reliever inhaler, but severe asthma is difficult to control the disease.
Severe Asthma Diagnosis
Severe asthma may be defined not only by difficult-to-control airway disease symptoms but also by the severity of abnormalities and measurements of pulmonary function. Careful physiologic characterizations of patients with well-defined severe asthma are lacking, making diagnosis difficult. In most cases, diagnosis depends on the symptoms and the response to treatment already being administered.
However, to establish a diagnosis of asthma, the clinician determines whether episodic symptoms of airflow obstruction or airway hyperresponsiveness are present and whether airflow obstruction is at least partially reversible, measured by spirometry. Reversibility is determined by an increase in FEV1 of >200 mL and 12% from baseline measure after inhalation of short-acting b2-agonist (SABA) (Lommatzsch & Virchow, 2014).
Continued in the report…..
Severe Asthma Treatment
Most asthma control medications focus on reducing airway inflammation and preventing the associated symptoms. The mainstay treatment for persistent asthma consists of inhaled corticosteroids. Quick-relief (reliever) or rescue medicines quickly ease symptoms that arise acutely Short-acting beta-agonists (SABAs) rapidly reduce airway bronchoconstriction and are recommended rescue medication for rapid symptom relief. Additional long-term controller medicines, such as long-acting beta 2 agonists (LABA), montelukast, or theophylline, are added if asthma is still uncontrolled. Oral corticosteroids can be added to treatment if patients are still experiencing symptoms and flare-ups. There are currently six approved monoclonal antibodies for add-on biological treatment of severe asthma. They include omalizumab, mepolizumab, reslizumab, benralizumab, dupilumab, and tezepelumab for the treatment of severe asthma. At present, there is no approved therapy for severe non-eosinophilic asthma which is non-responsive to corticosteroid treatment also.
Continued in the report…..
Severe Asthma Epidemiology
The Severe Asthma epidemiology covered in the report provides historical as well as forecasted epidemiology segmented by total diagnosed prevalent cases of asthma, severity-specific diagnosed prevalent cases of asthma, and type-specific diagnosed prevalent cases of severe asthma, the scenario of Severe Asthma in the 7MM covering the United States, EU5 countries (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom) and Japan from 2019 to 2032.
- The total diagnosed prevalent cases of asthma in the 7MM were found to be approximately 42,612,876 cases in adults and 11,602,740 cases in the pediatric population in the year 2021. These cases are expected to rise significantly by 2032.
- The United States accounted for 5,189,648 and 20,868,845 diagnosed prevalent cases of pediatric and adult asthma, respectively in 2021.
- In 2021, the total reported diagnosed prevalent cases (adult+pediatric) of asthma in EU-5 countries were 21,034,152 cases which are expected to rise significantly by 2032.
- In 2021, the UK accounted for the highest number of asthma diagnosed prevalent cases (5,884,988), followed by France (4,117,330) among the EU-5 countries. In contrast, Spain accounts for the lowest number of cases of asthma diagnosed prevalent population in the EU-5.
- As per DelveInsight analysis, in Japan, the intermittent, mild, moderate, and severe cases of asthma were observed to be 4,060,094, 854,757, 1,353,365, and 854,757 cases, respectively in 2021. The severity-specific cases are expected to change by 2032.
Country-wise Severe Asthma Epidemiology
The epidemiology segment also provides Severe Asthma epidemiology data and findings across the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom), and Japan.
Severe Asthma Drug Chapters
The drug chapter segment of the Severe Asthma pipeline report encloses a detailed analysis of Severe Asthma marketed drugs, mid-phase, and late-stage Severe Asthma pipeline drugs. It also helps to understand the Severe Asthma clinical trial details, expressive pharmacological action, agreements and collaborations, approval, and patent details of each included drug, and the latest news and press releases.
Severe Asthma Marketed Drugs
- Cinqair (reslizumab): Teva Pharmaceutical
Cinqair injection is a humanized interleukin-5 antagonist monoclonal antibody for add-on maintenance treatment of adult patients with severe asthma and with an eosinophilic phenotype, developed by Teva Pharmaceuticals. Cinqair is for intravenous infusion only. It is not to be administered as an intravenous push or bolus. The recommended dosage regimen is 3 mg/kg once every 4 weeks administered by intravenous infusion over 20–50 min.
- Fasenra (benralizumab): AstraZeneca
Fasenra (benralizumab) injection is a sterile, preservative-free, clear to opalescent, colorless to slightly yellow solution for subcutaneous injection. Benralizumab is a humanized afucosylated, monoclonal antibody (IgG1, kappa) that directly binds to the alpha subunit of the human interleukin-5 receptor (IL-5Rα) with a dissociation constant of 11 pM, developed by AstraZeneca. The IL-5 receptor is expressed on the surface of eosinophils and basophils. Benralizumab is produced in Chinese hamster ovary cells by recombinant DNA technology.
Products detail in the report…
List of products to be continued in the report…
Severe Asthma Emerging Drugs
- GSK3511294 (Depemokimab): GlaxoSmithKline
GSK3511294 (depemokimab), which GlaxoSmithKline is developing to treat severe eosinophilic asthma, is a humanized anti-interleukin (IL)-5 monoclonal antibody. As a new biological entity, it is engineered to ensure high affinity and long-acting suppression of IL-5 functions. IL-5 are cytokines responsible for the proliferation, activation, and survival of eosinophils, thus making them a proven treatment target for severe asthma patients with higher levels of eosinophils.Depemokimab with an extended half-life and improved IL-5 affinity compared to other approved therapies is the first biologic to be administered subcutaneously once every 26 weeks. Currently, GlaxoSmithKline is conducting multiple Phase III trials to assess the safety and efficacy of depemokimab for the treatment of severe eosinophilic asthma.
- PT027: AstraZeneca/Avillion
PT027, which AstraZeneca is developing in partnership with Avillion, is a fixed-dose combination of albuterol and budesonide. Albuterol, also known as salbutamol, is a short-acting beta2-agonist (SABA), while budesonide is an inhaled corticosteroid (ICS). It is a SABA/ICS fixed-dose rescue therapy for moderate to severe asthma being developed as a pressurized metered-dose inhaler (pMDI) using AstraZeneca’s Aerosphere delivery technology. AstraZeneca has completed Phase III trials for PT027 and based on these results, the company plans to file for regulatory submission in the US in 2022
Products detail in the report…
List of products to be continued in the report…
Severe Asthma Market Outlook
The treatment aims to reduce the symptom burden (i.e., good symptom control while maintaining normal activity levels) and minimize the risk of adverse events such as exacerbations, fixed airflow limitation, and treatment side effects. Guideline-based management of asthma focuses on disease severity and choosing the appropriate medical therapy to control symptoms and reduce the risk of exacerbations.
In patients with mild persistent disease, low-dose Inhaled corticosteroids (ICS) decreases the risk of severe exacerbations leading to hospitalization and improving asthma control. When low-dose ICS is ineffective in controlling the disease, a combination of low-dose ICS with long-acting beta-agonist (LABA) maintenance is the recommended first-choice treatment, plus as-needed short-acting beta-agonists (SABA). Alternatively, the combination of low-dose ICS/LABA (formoterol) is to be used as single maintenance and reliever treatment.
Severe asthmatics require higher doses of inhalers and often require medications (anticholinergics) that relax the muscles around the airways, making it easier to breathe. Long-term usage of combination inhaled controller medications may not be sufficient for treating severe asthmatics, and long-term use of oral steroids carries the risk of increased side effects.
Several new therapeutic options for severe asthma are currently being emerged. The key players include GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca, Bond Avillion, Novartis, 4D pharma, Roche, Pieris Pharma, AstraZeneca, Biosion, and others.
- The Severe Asthma Market Size in seven major markets was USD 6,076 Million in 2021, which is further expected to increase by 2032 at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 5.09% for the study period (2019–2032).
- The expected launch of potential therapies may increase the Severe Asthma market size in the coming years, assisted by an increase in the diagnosed prevalent population of Severe Asthma.
- The United States accounts for the largest market size for Severe Asthma, in comparison to EU5 (the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, France, and Spain) and Japan.
- Upcoming therapies such as GSK3511294 (Depemokimab) and PT010 have the potential to create a significant positive shift in the Severe Asthma market size.
- Among the EU5 countries, the United Kingdom had the highest market size with USD 348 million in 2021.
The United States Severe Asthma Market Outlook
This section provides the total Severe Asthma market size and market size by therapies in the United States.
EU-5 Severe Asthma Market Outlook
The total Severe Asthma market size and market size by therapies in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom are provided in this section.
Japan Severe Asthma Market Outlook
The total Severe Asthma market size and market size by therapies in Japan are provided.
Severe Asthma Drugs Uptake
This section focuses on the rate of uptake of the potential Severe Asthma drugs recently launched in the Severe Asthma market or expected to be launched in the market during the study period 2019–2032. The analysis covers the Severe Asthma market uptake by drugs; patient uptake by therapies; and sales of each drug.
This helps in understanding the drugs with the most rapid uptake, and the reasons behind the maximal use of new Severe Asthma drugs and allows, the comparison of the drugs based on market share and size which again will be useful in investigating factors important in the market uptake and in making financial and regulatory decisions.
Severe Asthma Development Activities
The Severe Asthma pipeline segment provides insights into different therapeutic candidates in Severe Asthma Clinical Trials within phase II, and phase III stages and also analyzes Severe Asthma companies involved in developing targeted therapeutics.
The Severe Asthma pipeline segment covers detailed information on collaborations, acquisitions, mergers, licensing, and patent details for Severe Asthma therapies.
Approaching reimbursement proactively can have a positive impact both during the late stages of product development and well after product launch. In the report, we consider reimbursement to identify economically attractive indications and market opportunities. When working with finite resources, the ability to select the markets with the fewest reimbursement barriers can be a critical business and price strategy.
Competitive Intelligence Analysis
We perform competitively and market Intelligence analysis of the Severe Asthma market by using various competitive intelligence tools that include–SWOT analysis, PESTLE analysis, Porter’s five forces, BCG Matrix, Market entry strategies, etc. The inclusion of the analysis entirely depends upon the data availability.
Severe Asthma Market Research Report Scope
- The report covers the descriptive overview of Severe Asthma, explaining its etiology, signs and symptoms, pathophysiology, genetic basis, and currently available therapies.
- Comprehensive insight has been provided into the Severe Asthma epidemiology and treatment.
- Additionally, an all-inclusive account of both the current and emerging therapies for Severe Asthma is provided, along with the assessment of new therapies, which will have an impact on the current treatment landscape.
- A detailed review of the Severe Asthma market; historical and forecasted is included in the report, covering the 7MM drug outreach.
- The patient-based Severe Asthma market forecasting report provides an edge while developing business strategies, by understanding trends shaping and driving the 7MM Severe Asthma market.
Severe Asthma Market Research Report Highlights
- The robust pipeline with novel MOA and oral ROA and increasing diagnosed prevalence will positively drive the Severe Asthma market.
- The Severe Asthma companies and academics are working to assess challenges and seek opportunities that could influence Severe Asthma R&D. The Severe Asthma emerging therapies under development are focused on novel approaches to treat/improve the disease condition.
- Major players are involved in developing therapies for Severe Asthma. The launch of emerging therapies will significantly impact the Severe Asthma market.
- Our in-depth analysis of the pipeline assets across different stages of development (phase III and phase II), different emerging trends, and comparative analysis of pipeline products with detailed clinical profiles, key cross-competition, launch date along with product development activities will support the clients in the decision-making process regarding their therapeutic portfolio by identifying the overall scenario of the research and development activities.
Severe Asthma Market Forecast Report Insights
- Patient-based Severe Asthma Market Forecasting
- Severe Asthma Therapeutic Approaches
- Severe Asthma Pipeline Analysis
- Severe Asthma Market Size
- Severe Asthma Market Trends
- Severe Asthma Market Opportunities
- Impact of Upcoming Therapies
Severe Asthma Market Forecast Report Key Strengths
- 10-Years Severe Asthma Market Forecast
- The 7MM Coverage
- Severe Asthma Epidemiology Segmentation
- Key Cross Competition
- Highly Analyzed Market
- Severe Asthma Drugs Uptake
Severe Asthma Treatment Market Report Assessment
- Current Severe Asthma Treatment Market Practices
- Severe Asthma Unmet Needs
- Severe Asthma Pipeline Product Profiles
- Severe Asthma Market Attractiveness
- Severe Asthma Market Drivers
- Severe Asthma Market Barriers
- SWOT analysis
Key Questions Answered
Severe Asthma Treatment Market Insights:
- What was the Severe Asthma drug market share (%) distribution in 2019 and how it would look like in 2032?
- What would be the Severe Asthma market size as well as market size by therapies across the 7MM during the forecast period (2023–2032)?
- What are the key findings of the market across the 7MM and which country will have the largest Severe Asthma market size during the forecast period (2023–2032)?
- At what CAGR, the Severe Asthma market is expected to grow at the 7MM level during the forecast period (2023–2032)?
- What would be the Severe Asthma market outlook across the 7MM during the forecast period (2023–2032)?
- What would be the Severe Asthma market growth till 2032 and what will be the resultant market size in the year 2032?
- How would the market drivers, barriers, and future opportunities affect the market dynamics and subsequent analysis of the associated trends?
Severe Asthma Epidemiology Insights:
- What are the disease risk, burdens, and Severe Asthma unmet needs?
- What is the historical Severe Asthma patient pool in the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the UK), and Japan?
- What would be the forecasted patient pool of Severe Asthma at the 7MM level?
- What will be the growth opportunities across the 7MM with respect to the patient population pertaining to Severe Asthma?
- Out of the above-mentioned countries, which country would have the highest population of Severe Asthma during the forecast period (2023–2032)?
- At what CAGR the population is expected to grow across the 7MM during the forecast period (2023–2032)?
Current Severe Asthma Treatment Market Scenario, Marketed Drugs, and Emerging Therapies:
- What are the current options for the treatment of Severe Asthma along with the approved therapy?
- What are the current treatment guidelines for the treatment of Severe Asthma in the US and Europe?
- What are the Severe Asthma marketed drugs and their MOA, regulatory milestones, product development activities, advantages, disadvantages, safety, efficacy, etc.?
- How many companies are developing therapies for the treatment of Severe Asthma?
- How many emerging therapies are in the mid-stage and late stages of development for the treatment of Severe Asthma?
- What are the key collaborations (Industry–Industry, Industry-Academia), mergers and acquisitions, and licensing activities related to the Severe Asthma therapies?
- What are the recent novel therapies, targets, mechanisms of action, and technologies developed to overcome the limitation of existing therapies?
- What are the clinical studies going on for Severe Asthma and their status?
- What are the key designations that have been granted for the emerging therapies for Severe Asthma?
- What is the 7MM historical and forecasted market for Severe Asthma?
Reasons to Buy
- The patient-based Severe Asthma market forecasting report will help in developing business strategies by understanding trends shaping and driving Severe Asthma.
- To understand the future market competition in the Severe Asthma market and an Insightful review of the key Severe Asthma market drivers and barriers.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for Severe Asthma in the US, Europe (Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and the United Kingdom), and Japan.
- Identification of strong upcoming players in the market will help in devising strategies that will help in getting ahead of competitors.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for the Severe Asthma market.
- To understand the future market competition in the Severe Asthma market.
For More In-depth Information @ Latest DelveInsight Blog