- Total prevalent cases of obesity in adults (>19 years) were 182.22 Million (M) and in children (5–19 years) were 7.85 million in the 7MM which are expected to grow during the study period, i.e., 2019–2032.
- In 2021, the total Obesity market size was USD 1,052 million which is expected to rise during the study period (2019–2032).
- Obesity companies working in the market are Novo Nordisk, Eli Lilly and Company, MedImmune, Boehringer Ingelheim, Raziel Therapeutics, Altimmune, Saniona, YSOPIA Bioscience, Innovent Biologics, Glaceum, Shionogi, Aardvark Therapeutics, NuSirt Biopharma, Novartis, CSPC Baike (Shandong) Biopharmaceutical, Jiangsu HengRui Medicine, Carmot Therapeutics, Pfizer, Sciwind Biosciences, Empros Pharma and others
Request a sample to unlock the CAGR for Obesity Market
DelveInsight's "Obesity- Market Insights, Epidemiology, and Market Forecast-2032" report delivers an in-depth understanding of the obesity, historical and forecasted epidemiology as well as the obesity market trends in the United States, EU5 (Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and United Kingdom) and Japan.
The Obesity market report provides current treatment practices, emerging drugs, Obesity market share of the individual therapies, current and forecasted obesity market Size from 2019 to 2032 segmented by seven major markets. The Report also covers current obesity treatment practice/algorithm, market drivers, market barriers, and unmet medical needs to curate the best of the opportunities and assesses the underlying potential of the market.
- The United States
- EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom)
Study Period: 2019-2032
Obesity Understanding and Treatment Algorithm
The DelveInsight’s Obesity market report gives a thorough understanding of the disease.Obesity is defined as an abnormal or excessive accumulation of fat or adipose tissue in the body that presents a risk to health. The body mass index (BMI) is used to define obesity, which is calculated as weight (kg)/height (m2). A person with a body mass index greater than or equal to 30 is considered obese. It is the second most common cause of preventable death, which has its association with the risk of development of inflammatory components, directly and indirectly, related to cardiovascular disease, diabetes mellitus, respiratory problems, psychological issues, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea, cancer, and hyperlipidemia. It imposes a significant public health epidemic that has progressively worsened over the past semi-centennial. An increase in obesity has been observed in children as well as adults of both genders and is prevalent in both developed and developing countries.
Compared to other chronic diseases, obesity results from an interaction between an individual’s genetic predisposition to weight gain and environmental influences. Gene discovery in the field of weight regulation and obesity has identified several major single-gene effects resulting in severe and early-onset obesity, as well as many more minor genes with more variable effects on weight and fat distribution, including age-of-onset and severity.
The most visible sign of obesity can be derived from the magnitude of excess adipose tissue fat, which is measured by taking anthropometric measurements such as body mass index (BMI), waist circumference, and others.
Body mass index, also known as Quetelet index, is defined as a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of his height in meters (kg/m2). For adults, a person is considered obese if they have BMI greater than or equal to 30. Whereas for children under 5 years of age, obesity is considered when weight-for-height is greater than three standard deviations above the WHO Child Growth Standards median. For children aged between 5–19 years of age, obesity is considered when weight-for-height is greater than two standard deviations above the WHO Growth Reference median
Diagnosis of obesity involves proper evaluation of the weight status, which considers many factors and uses various tools and diagnostic tests, including body mass index (BMI), waist circumference measurement, physical exams, and lab tests to check for comorbidities.
Losing weight through healthy eating, increasing physical activity, and making other lifestyle changes are all common therapies for obesity. Some people may benefit from weight-management programs in order to lose weight or avoid regaining it. Some obese persons are either unable to drop enough weight to enhance their health or are unable to maintain their weight loss. Other therapies, such as weight-loss drugs, gadgets, or bariatric surgery, may be considered in such circumstances.
Within the first 6 months of treatment, it is recommended to decrease 5–10% of the body weight. It can help reduce the risk of developing obesity-related health problems, and improve health conditions associated with obesity, such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.
So obesity can be managed by reducing calories and adopting healthier eating habits, physical activity, and weight loss medications like orlistat and phentermine.
The obesity epidemiology section provides insights about historical and current obesity population pool and forecasted trends for individual seven major countries. It helps to recognize the causes of current and forecasted trends by exploring numerous studies and views of key opinion leaders. This part of the report also provides the diagnosed patient pool and their trends along with assumptions undertaken.
In the year 2021, the total prevalent cases of obesity in adults (>19 years) were 182.22 Million (M) and in children (5–19 years) were 7.85 million in the 7MM which are expected to grow during the study period, i.e., 2019–2032.
The Obesity epidemiology covered in the report provides historical as well as forecasted obesity epidemiology [segmented as total prevalent cases of obesity, total obesity patients seeking help, and total treated cases of obesity] in the 7MM covering the United States, EU5 countries (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom), and Japan from 2019 to 2032.
Country Wise- Obesity Epidemiology
The Obesity epidemiology segment also provides the obesity epidemiology data and findings across the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom), and Japan.
Obesity Drug Chapters
The drug chapter segment of the Obesity report encloses the detailed analysis of obesity marketed drugs and late-stage (Phase-III and Phase-II) pipeline drugs. It also helps to understand the obesity clinical trial details, expressive pharmacological action, agreements and collaborations, approval and patent details, advantages and disadvantages of each included drug, and the latest news and press releases.
The report provides the details of the emerging therapies under the late and mid-stage of development for obesity treatment.
Obesity Market Outlook
The obesity market outlook of the report helps to build a detailed comprehension of the historic, current, and forecasted obesity market trends by analyzing the impact of current therapies on the market, unmet needs, drivers, barriers, and demand for better technology.
This segment gives a thorough detail of obesity market trend of each marketed drug and late-stage pipeline therapy by evaluating their impact based on the annual cost of therapy, inclusion and exclusion criteria's, mechanism of action, compliance rate, growing need of the market, increasing patient pool, covered patient segment, expected launch year, competition with other therapies, brand value, their impact on the market and view of the key opinion leaders. The calculated market data are presented with relevant tables and graphs to give a clear view of the market at first sight.
According to DelveInsight, the obesity market in 7MM is expected to witness a major change in the study period 2019–2032.
Obesity market Key Findings
The obesity market size in the 7MM is expected to change during the study period 2019–2032. The Obesity therapeutic market in the seven major markets is expected to increase during the study period (2019–2032).
In 2021, the total Obesity market size was USD 1,052 million which is expected to rise during the study period (2019–2032).
The United States: Obesity Market Outlook
The total Obesity market size in the United States accounted for USD 847 million in 2021 which is expected to rise during the study period (2019–2032).
EU-5 Countries: Obesity Market Outlook
In EU5, the total Obesity market size was USD 185 million in 2021, which is expected to rise during the study period (2019–2032).
Japan: Obesity Market Outlook
In Japan, the total market size of obesity was USD 21 million in 2021, which is expected to rise during the study period (2019–2032).
Obesity Drug Uptake
This section focuses on the rate of uptake of the potential Obesity drugs recently launched in the obesity market or expected to get launched in the market during the study period 2019-2032. The analysis covers obesity market uptake by drugs; patient uptake by therapies; and sales of each drug.
This helps in understanding the drugs with the most rapid uptake, reasons behind the maximal use of new drugs, and allows the comparison of the drugs based on market share and size which again will be useful in investigating factors important in market uptake and in making financial and regulatory decisions.
Obesity Pipeline Development Activities
The report provides insights into different therapeutic candidates in Phase II, and Phase III stages. It also analyses obesity companies involved in developing targeted therapeutics.
Pipeline Development Activities
The report covers detailed information on collaborations, acquisition, and merger, licensing patent details, and other information for obesity emerging therapies.
Latest Clinical, Commercial, and Regulatory Developments in the Obesity Market
- On June 26, 2023, Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY) announced the new phase 2 data from retatrutide, Lilly's investigational molecule being studied for the treatment of obesity. At 24 weeks, retatrutide (1 mg, 4 mg, 8 mg or 12 mg) met the primary endpoint for the efficacy estimand in participants living with obesity or overweight without diabetes, demonstrating a mean weight reduction up to 17.5% (41.2 lb. or 18.7 kg). In a secondary endpoint, retatrutide demonstrated a mean weight reduction up to 24.2% (57.8 lb. or 26.2 kg)ii at the end of the 48-week treatment duration.
- On June 26, 2023, Pfizer (NYSE: PFE) updated that it is scrapping its once-a-day experimental obesity pill because of concerns about liver safety, but will continue developing its other obesity pill, the twice-daily treatment danuglipron, as it races to rival the success of other weight loss treatments.
- On May 23, 2023, Novo Nordisk (NYSE: NVO) announced positive results from a phase IIIa study, OASIS 1, in the global OASIS program for a once-daily oral formulation of semaglutide in obesity.
- On Oct. 6, 2022, Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY) announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Fast Track designation for the investigation of tirzepatide for the treatment of adults with obesity, or overweight with weight-related comorbidities.
Request sample pages to get an in-depth overview of the latest developments:
Reimbursement Scenario in Obesity
Approaching reimbursement proactively can have a positive impact both during the late stages of product development and well after product launch. In a report, we consider reimbursement to identify economically attractive indications and market opportunities. When working with finite resources, the ability to select the markets with the fewest reimbursement barriers can be a critical business and price strategy.
To keep up with current market trends, we take KOLs and SMEs ' opinions working in the obesity domain through primary research to fill the data gaps and validate our secondary research. Their opinion helps to understand and validate current and emerging therapies treatment patterns or obesity market trends. This will support the clients in potential upcoming novel treatment by identifying the overall scenario of the market and the unmet needs.
Competitive Intelligence Analysis
We perform Competitively and Market Intelligence analysis of the obesity Market by using various Competitive Intelligence tools that include - SWOT analysis, PESTLE analysis, Porter's five forces, BCG Matrix, Market entry strategies, etc. The inclusion of the analysis entirely depends upon the data availability.
2019 to 2032
2023 to 2032
|USD 1,052 million in 2021|
|Novo Nordisk, Eli Lilly and Company, MedImmune, Boehringer Ingelheim, Raziel Therapeutics, Altimmune, Saniona, YSOPIA Bioscience, Innovent Biologics, Glaceum, Shionogi, Aardvark Therapeutics, NuSirt Biopharma, Novartis, CSPC Baike (Shandong) Biopharmaceutical, Jiangsu HengRui Medicine, Carmot Therapeutics, Pfizer, Sciwind Biosciences, Empros Pharma|
Scope of the Obesity Market Report
- The Obesity report covers the descriptive overview of obesity, explaining its causes, signs and symptoms, pathophysiology, diagnosis, and currently available therapies
- Comprehensive insight has been provided into the obesity epidemiology and treatment in the 7MM
- Additionally, an all-inclusive account of both the current and emerging therapies for obesity are provided, along with the assessment of new therapies, which will have an impact on the current treatment landscape
- A detailed review of the obesity market; historical and forecasted is included in the report, covering drug outreach in the 7MM
- The report provides an edge while developing business strategies, by understanding trends shaping and driving the global obesity market.
Obesity Report Highlights
- In the coming years, the obesity market is set to change due to the rising awareness of the disease, and incremental healthcare spending across the world; which would expand the size of the market to enable the drug manufacturers to penetrate more into the market.
- The companies and academics are working to assess challenges and seek opportunities that could influence obesity R&D. The therapies under development are focused on novel approaches to treat/improve the disease condition.
- Several major Obesity companies are involved in developing therapies to improve the treatment outlook. The launch of emerging therapies will significantly impact the obesity market.
- A better understanding of disease pathogenesis will also contribute to the development of novel therapeutics for obesity.
- Our in-depth analysis of the pipeline assets across different stages of development (Phase III and Phase II), different emerging trends, and comparative analysis of the Obesity pipeline products with detailed clinical profiles, key cross-competition, launch date along with product development activities will support the clients in the decision-making process regarding their therapeutic portfolio by identifying the overall scenario of the research and development activities.
Obesity Report Insights
- Obesity Patient Population
- Obesity Therapeutic Approaches
- Obesity Pipeline Analysis
- Obesity Market Size and Trends
- Obesity Market Opportunities
- Impact of Upcoming Obesity Therapies
Obesity Report Key Strengths
- 10 Years Forecast
- 7MM Coverage
- Obesity Epidemiology Segmentation
- Key Cross Competition
- Highly Analyzed Obesity Market
- Obesity Drugs Uptake
Obesity Report Assessment
- Current Obesity Treatment Practices
- Obesity Unmet Needs
- Obesity Pipeline Product Profiles
- Obesity Market Attractiveness
- Obesity Market Drivers and Barriers
Obesity Market Insights:
- What was the obesity drug class share (%) distribution in 2019 and how it would look like in 2032?
- What would be the obesity total market size as well as market size by therapies across the 7MM during the forecast period (2019-2032)?
- What are the key findings of the market across 7MM and which country will have the largest obesity market size during the forecast period (2019-2032)?
- At what CAGR, the obesity market is expected to grow by 7MM during the forecast period (2019-2032)?
- What would be the obesity market outlook across the 7MM during the forecast period (2019-2032)?
- What would be the obesity market growth till 2032, and what will be the resultant market Size in the year 2032?
- How would the unmet needs affect the market dynamics and subsequent analysis of the associated trends?
Obesity Epidemiology Insights:
- What are the disease risk, burden, and regional/ethnic differences of obesity?
- What are the key factors driving the epidemiology trend for seven major markets covering the United States, EU5 (Germany, Spain, France, Italy, UK), and Japan?
- What is the historical obesity patient pool in seven major markets covering the United States, EU5 (Germany, Spain, France, Italy, UK), and Japan?
- What would be the forecasted patient pool of obesity in seven major markets covering the United States, EU5 (Germany, Spain, France, Italy, UK), and Japan?
- Where will be the growth opportunities in the 7MM concerning the patient population about obesity?
- Out of all 7MM countries, which country would have the highest prevalent population of obesity during the forecast period (2019-2032)?
- At what CAGR the patient population is expected to grow by 7MM during the forecast period (2019-2032)?
Current Treatment Scenario, Marketed Drugs, and Emerging Therapies:
- What are the current options for the obesity treatment in addition to the approved therapies?
- What are the current treatment guidelines for the treatment of obesity in the USA, Europe, and Japan?
- What are the onesity marketed drugs and their respective MOA, regulatory milestones, product development activities, advantages, disadvantages, safety, efficacy, etc.?
- How many companies are developing therapies for the treatment of obesity?
- How many therapies are in-development by each company for obesity treatment?
- How many are emerging therapies in mid-stage, and late stage of development for obesity treatment?
- What are the key collaborations (Industry - Industry, Industry-Academia), Mergers and acquisitions, licensing activities related to the obesity therapies?
- What are the recent novel therapies, targets, mechanisms of action, and technologies being developed to overcome the limitation of existing therapies?
- What are the clinical studies going on for obesity and their status?
- What are the current challenges faced in drug development?
- What are the key designations that have been granted for the emerging therapies for obesity?
- What are the global historical and forecasted markets of obesity?
Reasons to buy
- The report will help in developing business strategies by understanding trends shaping and driving the obesity market
- To understand the future market competition in the obesity market and Insightful review of the key market drivers and barriers
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for obesity in the US, Europe (Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and the United Kingdom), and Japan
- Identification of strong upcoming Obesity companies in the market will help in devising strategies that will help in getting ahead of competitors
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for the obesity market
- To understand the future market competition in the obesity market