Polycythemia Vera (PV) is a condition characterized by an increased number of red blood cells in the bloodstream (erythrocytosis) and affected people may also have excess white blood cells and platelets. Most cases of PV are not inherited and are acquired during a person’s lifetime.
Polycythemia Vera Epidemiology Segmentation in the 7MM
● Total Prevalent Cases of Polycythemia Vera
● Based on Symptoms Cases of Polycythemia Vera
● Age-specific Cases of Polycythemia Vera
● Gender-specific Cases of Polycythemia Vera
● Risk-specific Cases of Polycythemia Vera
● Mutation-specific Cases of Polycythemia Vera
Polycythemia Vera Epidemiological Insights Observed in the 7MM (2021)
- The total prevalent cases of Polycythemia Vera observed in the 7MM were observed to be 298K in the year 2021
- The highest prevalent Polycythemia Vera population accounting for 169K cases, was found in the United States in the year 2021
- Amongst EU5 the highest prevalent population was in Germany (24.3K cases) and the lowest prevalent population was in Spain (12.7K cases)
- The total prevalent cases of Polycythemia Vera observed in Japan were observed to be 31.9K in the year 2021
- The total prevalent population of Polycythemia Vera in Other Geographies (Italy, UK, and France) was approx 60K
The market size of Polycythemia Vera in the 7MM was found to be approximately USD 1,531.4 Million in 2021, Including the market size of the US which accounted for USD 1,083.1 Million. Amongst EU5, Germany (USD 84.8 Million) had the largest market size and Spain (USD 44.4 Million) had the least market size. Japan comprised a market size of USD 125.5 Million.
Polycythemia Vera Market Strengths
The recent approval of Besremi in the US and its expected approval in Japan, in both the first and second line of treatment, provides the interferon with an immense opportunity to garner a big market size in Polycythemia Vera.
Polycythemia Vera Market Opportunities
Approval of Besremi in the first-line setting provides an opportunity for PharmaEssentia as there are no major competitors of Besremi that are targeting the patients irrespective of their treatment history. In fact, based on our analysis we expect that the interferon can also be a good option for patients resistant to both Hydroxyurea and Jakafi (mostly younger patients).
The emerging drugs in the Polycythemia Vera market are
● Rusfertide (PTG-300)
● Givinostat (ITF-2357)
● Bomedemstat (IMG-7289)
● Sapablursen (IONIS-TMPRSS6-LRx)
● PPMX-T003, and others
Polycythemia Vera Key Players
The key players working in the Polycythemia Vera market are
- Protagonist Therapeutics
- Kartos Therapeutics
- Imago BioSciences
- Ionis Pharmaceutical
- Perseus Proteomics, and others