Glaucoma is a disease that damages the eye’s optic nerve. It usually happens when fluid builds up in the front part of the eye. That extra fluid increases the pressure in the eye, damaging the optic nerve. The condition is a leading cause of blindness for people over 60 years old. But blindness from glaucoma can often be prevented with early treatment. There are two main types of glaucoma – primary and secondary.
Glaucoma Epidemiology Segmentation in the 7MM
Total Diagnosed Prevalence of Glaucoma
- Type-specific (Open/Closed) Diagnosed Prevalent Population of Glaucoma
- Age-specific Diagnosed Prevalence of Glaucoma
- Gender-specific Diagnosed Prevalence of Glaucoma
- Type-specific (Primary/Secondary) Diagnosed Prevalence of Open-Angle Glaucoma
- The total diagnosed Glaucoma population in 7MM was found to be 11 million cases in the year 2021
The market size of Glaucoma in the 7MM was found to be approximately USD 4,000 million in 2021.
Glaucoma Market Strengths
New drug-delivery systems offer the hope of improved therapeutic outcomes by taking patient adherence out of the loop.
Glaucoma Market Opportunities
Glaucoma gene discovery also makes possible the design of novel therapies that target the actual molecular event responsible for the disease, and recent advances in methods for gene replacement and CRISPR/Cas gene-editing support the feasibility of gene-based therapies for glaucoma in the relatively near future. Currently, there are no FDA-approved gene-based methods for glaucoma.
The emerging drugs in the Glaucoma market are
- Brinzolamide Ophthalmic Suspension 1%
- DE-130A (Catioprost)
- Sepetaprost (DE-126/ONO-9054)
- NCX 470
- ENV515 (Travoprost XR)
- Nyxol (Phentolamine Mesylate)
- Ripasudil hydrochloride hydrate/Brimonidine tartrate (K-232) and others
Glaucoma Key Players
The key players working in the Glaucoma market are
- Sun Pharma Advanced Research Company Limited (SPARC)
- Laboratorios Sophia S.A de C.V.
- Perrigo Company
- Santen Pharmaceutical
- Santen Inc./Ono Pharmaceutical
- Nicox Ophthalmics
- Envisia Therapeutics
- Ocuphire Pharma
- Kowa Company
- D.Western Therapeutics Institute and others