DelveInsight’s ‘Burns-Market Insights, Epidemiology, and Market Forecast–2030’ report deliver an in-depth understanding of the Burns historical and forecasted epidemiology as well as the Burns market trends in the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom), and Japan.
The Burns market report provides current treatment practices, emerging drugs, and market share of the individual therapies, current and forecasted 7MM Burns market size from 2021 to 2030. The Report also covers current Burns treatment practice, market drivers, market barriers, SWOT analysis, and unmet medical needs to curate the best of the opportunities and assesses the underlying potential of the market.
- The United States
- EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom)
Study Period: 2018–2030
Burns Disease Understanding and Treatment Algorithm
Burn injuries are underappreciated injuries that are associated with substantial morbidity and mortality. Burn injuries, particularly severe burns, are accompanied by an immune and inflammatory response, metabolic changes, and distributive shock that can be challenging to manage and can lead to multiple organ failures. Of great importance is that the injury affects not only physical health but also the patient’s mental health and quality of life.
Burn injuries are underappreciated trauma that can affect anyone, anytime and anywhere. The injuries can be caused by friction, cold, heat, radiation, chemical, or electric sources, but most burn injuries are caused by heat from hot liquids, solids, or fire. Although all burn injuries involve tissue destruction due to energy transfer, different causes can be associated with different physiological and pathophysiological responses.
The determination of the severity of a burn depends on the depth of the burn and the width of the area. It is necessary to wait for 24–48 h to determine the exact burn grade, as the depth of the burn may increase due to edema and infection. The depth of the burn varies according to the type of the causative agent, the degree of temperature, and the thickness and vascularity of the affected skin area. Accurate assessment of the severity of a burn injury is paramount because it forms the basis for all subsequent treatment decisions, triage plans, and assessment of medical futility. Whenever possible, decisions about proceeding after diagnosis and screening should incorporate patient preferences and expectations about the quality of life. Optimal assessment of the severity of burn injury must involve a systematic, methodical approach, such as that described in course materials for the Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) by the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma, Emergency Management of the Severe Burn (EMSB) by the Australian and New Zealand Burn Association, and Advanced Burn Life Support (ABLS) by the ABA.
Continued in the report…..
In the current market scenario, the standard treatment for skin burn involves medications, wound dressings, grafts and surgery. The treatment goals are to control pain, remove dead tissue, prevent infection, reduce scarring risk, and regain function. The treatment depends on the severity of the burn.
Medical treatment includes water-based treatments (Ultrasound mist therapy to clean and stimulate the wound tissue), fluids to prevent dehydration (intravenous (IV) fluids to prevent dehydration and organ failure), pain and anxiety medications (morphine and anti-anxiety medications), creams and ointments (bacitracin and silver sulfadiazine), dressings (wound dressings), and common topical antimicrobials such as silver sulfadiazine (SSD), cerium plus SSD, silver nitrate, mafenide, bacitracin, and Xeroform. Apart from the above-mentioned pharmacological treatment options, the most important management practice involves surgery. Early autografting then build on these improvements by rapidly closing excised wounds, further reducing infection risk, decreasing pain, and enabling earlier mobilization. If there are concerns about the viability or bacterial load on the wound bed and/or the patient’s stability, allografting is preferred to cover the debrided wound temporarily. Some commercially available skin substitutes are Epicel, StrataGraft, RECELL System, Split thickness skin graft, Kerecis Omega3 products, and several others.
Continued in the report…..
The disease epidemiology covered in the report provides historical as well as forecasted epidemiology segmented by Incident Cases of Burn Patients Requiring Treatment, Gender-specific Incident Cases of Treated Burn Injuries, Etiology-specific Incident Cases of Treated Burn Injuries, Severity-specific Incident Cases of Treated Burn Injuries, and Incident Cases of Hospitalized Burn Patients scenario in the 7MM covering the United States, EU5 countries (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom), and Japan from 2018 to 2030.
- In 2020, total incident population of burn injuries that required medical treatment in seven major markets were reported to be 1,853,475. These cases are increasing at a CAGR of 0.56% during study period
- The number of hospitalized burn cases in the seven major market is expected to increase at a CAGR of 0.59% for the study period, i.e. 2018–2030.
- The estimates suggest the United States had highest incident population of burn injuries that required medical treatment with 663,010 cases in 2020 out of which the estimated cases of hospitalized burn patients in 2020 were 76,511.
- According to analysis, after scald (31.4%), the fire/flame was the foremost contributing cause for burn injuries in the US, occupying 40.6% of total incident cases of treatment taking burn injuries.
- Our analysis indicates that the majority of burn injury cases taking treatment are males. This is accompanied by the fact that major burn injuries occur at workplaces; thus, the burn injury cases in males are predominantly higher. There were 411,066 male and 251,944 female cases of treated burn injuries in 2020.
- In 2020, the severity-specific estimated cases were 144,536, 387,198, 19,890, and 111,386 for first-degree, second-degree, third-degree, and unspecified, respectively in the United States.
- Among the EU5 countries, the UK had the highest incident population of burn patients that require medical treatment with 269,423 cases, followed by France (202,721 cases) and Spain (144,584 cases) in 2020. On the other hand, Germany had the lowest incident population (122,227).
- Japan had 328,255 incident cases of burn injuries requiring medical treatment in 2020, the second-highest of all other countries in 7MM.
Country-Wise Burns Epidemiology
The epidemiology segment also provides the Burns epidemiology data and findings across the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom), and Japan.
Burns Drug Chapters
Burns Marketed Drug
NexoBrid/KMW-1: MediWound Germany GmbH/Kaken Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
NexoBrid, a concentrate of proteolytic enzymes enriched in bromelain, is an easy-to-use, topically-applied product that removes eschar in 4 h without harming the surrounding healthy tissues. NexoBrid’s rapid and selective debridement alleviates the known risks associated with eschars, such as infection, eventual sepsis, wound deterioration, and consequential scarring. It allows physicians to reach an informed decision on further treatment at an earlier stage by direct visual assessment of the actual burn depth. Furthermore, it minimizes the burden associated with invasive surgical procedures, reduces the need for skin grafting and sacrifice of healthy tissue from donor sites on a patient’s body, and generally results in a more favorable overall long-term patient outcome. NexoBrid has been investigated in hundreds of patients across more than 22 countries and four continents in nine completed Phase II, Phase III, and postmarketing clinical studies. In clinical trials, the product has been referred to as “Debridase” and “Debrase.”
Products detail in the report…
Kerecis Omega3: Kerecis
Kerecis (formally known as Marigen) produces skin and tissue-based products for use in surgery and for treating wounds. Kerecis Omega3 is intact fish skin rich in naturally occurring Omega3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. When grafted onto damaged human tissue such as a burn or a diabetic wound, the material recruits the body’s own cells and is ultimately converted into living tissue. Kerecis has a wide range of products for the treatment of burns that includes Kerecis Omega3 Wound, Kerecis Omega3 OR, Kerecis Omega3 MicroGraft, Kerecis Omega3 GraftGuide, and Kerecis Primary Wound Spray, some of which are approved and some are not. Kerecis products utilize multiple patented fatty-acid technologies to protect and regenerate tissue across two core technologies: Kerecis Omega3 Fish Skin and Kerecis Omega3 Viruxide.
Products detail in the report…
StrataGraft: Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals
StrataGraft is a viable, bioengineered, allogeneic, cellularized scaffold product derived from keratinocytes grown on gelled collagen-containing dermal fibroblasts. It is designed to deliver viable cells to support the body’s own ability to heal and contains metabolically active cells that produce and secrete a variety of growth factors and cytokines. Growth factors and cytokines are known to be involved in wound repair and regeneration. The product is designed with both dermal and epidermal layers composed of well-characterized human cells. StrataGraft is intended to be applied in appropriate aseptic conditions, such as the operating room, and can be sutured, stapled, or secured with a tissue adhesive. In June 2021, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals announced that the US FDA had approved StrataGraft (allogeneic cultured keratinocytes and dermal fibroblasts in murine collagen – dsat) for the treatment of adults with thermal burns containing intact dermal elements for which surgical intervention is clinically indicated (deep partial-thickness burns).
Products detail in the report…
List to be continued in the report…
Burns Emerging Drugs
MW-III, a product by Skingenix, is a topical product being evaluated for second-degree burns in adult patients. The drug is a botanical drug product developed for treating burns and other cutaneous wounds, which will be made from natural ingredients such as Sesame Oil, Coptidis Rhizoma, Scutellariae Radix, Phellodendri Chinesis Cortex, and Pheretima, and formulated as an ointment with Beeswax. Skingenix, Inc. is currently pursuing several indications under an Investigational New Drug Application (IND) for their investigational product (MW-III) in the US. The company has recently initiated a Phase II clinical study to assess the safety and efficacy of their investigational product in patients with burn injuries in the US.
Products detail in the report…
EHSG-KF (denovoSkin): CUTISS AG
denovoSkin being developed by CUTISS AG and others, is bio-engineered within large quantities (>1:100) with a thick, double layer, robust structure. denovoSkin is a patented, personalized, autologous bio-engineered human skin graft classified as Advanced Therapy Medical Product (ATMP). denovoSkin has successfully completed Phase I in pediatric patients. Phase II clinical trials are now underway in Europe and Switzerland and are expected to be completed by 2022. The company is also working on the scale-up of the production process by means of automation. It is currently tested in three European multi-centric Phase II efficacy clinical studies (NCT03227146, NCT03229564, and NCT03394612).
Products detail in the report…
List to be continued in the report…
Burns Market Outlook
In the current market scenario, the standard treatment for skin burn involves medications, wound dressings, therapy, and surgery. The treatment goals are to control pain, remove dead tissue, prevent infection, reduce scarring risk, and regain function. The treatment depends on the severity of the burn.
Apart from the pharmacological treatment options, the most important management practice involves surgery. Early autografting then build on these improvements by rapidly closing excised wounds, further reducing infection risk, decreasing pain, and enabling earlier mobilization. If there are concerns about the viability or bacterial load on the wound bed and/or the patient’s stability, allografting is preferred to cover the debrided wound temporarily.
The surgical approach is to leave no full-thickness burned tissue behind and debride down to viable tissue. The gold-standard burn coverage is autologous split-thickness skin grafts (STSGs). Skin substitutes have developed over the past decade from temporary materials used to induce wound healing to permanent tissue-engineered materials that offer definitive healing.
The common principle of skin substitutes is to deliver proteins, growth factors and/or cells via a delivery vehicle or matrix that will then be integrated into the wound and form new autologous skin. Common skin substitutes include cadaver skin (allograft) and porcine skin (xenograft), which provide temporary coverage for up to 14 days before inevitable rejection. To overcome the need for uninjured donor skin in autologous STSG, artificial skin substitutes have been introduced to the market and include TransCyte, CEA, cultured skin substitutes, and various others.
Some commercially available skin substitutes are Epicel, StrataGraft, RECELL System, Split thickness skin graft, Kerecis Omega3 products, and several others.
The dynamics of the skin burn market are anticipated to change in the coming years due to the improvement in the treatment, incremental healthcare spending across the world, and the expected launch of emerging therapies during the forecast period. Companies like CUTISS AG, RenovaCare, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, and others across the globe are working toward developing more advanced treatment therapies for skin burns.
Continued in the report…..
- The market size for Burns injury was USD 830 million in 2020 in the United States.
- DelveInsight’s analysts estimate that the market is expected to show positive growth, mainly attributed to the increase in population, increasing incidence of burn injury and also, the launch of upcoming therapies during the forecast period. Through this, the market size is set to show an extensive jump by end of 2030, at a CAGR of 1.96% from 2018–2030.
- The Burns market size in the EU5 was USD 282 million in 2020. EU5 accounted for 22% of the total 7MM market size. Among the EU5 countries, the United Kingdom holds the highest market size of USD 91.3 million followed by France (USD 61.4 million) and Germany (USD 45 million). Italy holds the least market size of USD 41.7 million among the EU5 countries in 2020.
- The Burns market size in Japan was USD 182.8 million in 2020. Japan accounted for 14.40% of the total 7MM market size.
The United States Market Outlook
This section provides the total Burns market size and; market size by therapies in the United States.
EU-5 Market Outlook
The total Burns market size and market size by therapies in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom are provided in this section.
Japan Market Outlook
The total Burns market size and market size by therapies in Japan are provided.
Burns Drugs Uptake
This section focuses on the rate of uptake of the potential drugs recently launched in the Burns market or expected to get launched in the market during the study period 2018–2030. The analysis covers the Burns market uptake by drugs; patient uptake by therapies; and sales of each drug.
This helps in understanding the drugs with the most rapid uptake, reasons behind the maximal use of new drugs, and allows the comparison of the drugs based on market share and size which again will be useful in investigating factors important in market uptake and in making financial and regulatory decisions.
Burns Development Activities
The report provides insights into different therapeutic candidates in phase II, and phase III stage. It also analyzes key players involved in developing targeted therapeutics.
Pipeline Development Activities
The report covers the detailed information of collaborations, acquisition, and merger, licensing, and patent details for Burns emerging therapies.
Reimbursement Scenario in Burns
Approaching reimbursement proactively can have a positive impact both during the late stages of product development and well after product launch. In the report, we consider reimbursement to identify economically attractive indications and market opportunities. When working with finite resources, the ability to select the markets with the fewest reimbursement barriers can be a critical business and price strategy.
Competitive Intelligence Analysis
We perform competitive market Intelligence analysis of the Burns market by using various competitive intelligence tools that include–SWOT analysis, PESTLE analysis, Porter’s five forces, BCG Matrix, Market entry strategies, etc. The inclusion of the analysis entirely depends upon the data availability.
Scope of the Report
- The report covers the descriptive overview of Burns, explaining its causes, symptoms, pathophysiology, genetic basis, and currently available therapies.
- Comprehensive insight has been provided into the Burns epidemiology and treatment.
- Additionally, an all-inclusive account of both the current and emerging therapies for Burns is provided, along with the assessment of new therapies, which will have an impact on the current treatment landscape.
- A detailed review of the Burns market; historical and forecasted is included in the report, covering the 7MM drug outreach.
- The report provides an edge while developing business strategies, by understanding trends shaping and driving the 7MM Burns market.
- The robust pipeline with novel MOA and oral ROA, increasing incidence, effectiveness of drugs as both mono and combination therapy will positively drive the Burns market.
- The companies and academics are working to assess challenges and seek opportunities that could influence Burns R&D. The therapies under development are focused on novel approaches to treat/improve the disease condition.
- Major players are involved in developing therapies for Burns. The launch of emerging therapies will significantly impact the Burns market.
- Our in-depth analysis of the pipeline assets across different stages of development (phase III and phase II), different emerging trends and comparative analysis of pipeline products with detailed clinical profiles, key cross-competition, launch date along with product development activities will support the clients in the decision-making process regarding their therapeutic portfolio by identifying the overall scenario of the research and development activities.
Burns Report Insights
- Patient Population
- Therapeutic Approaches
- Burns Pipeline Analysis
- Burns Market Size and Trends
- Market Opportunities
- Impact of upcoming Therapies/Procedures
Burns Report Key Strengths
- 10 Years Forecast
- 7MM Coverage
- Burns Epidemiology Segmentation
- Key Cross Competition
- Highly Analyzed Market
- Drugs Uptake
Burns Report Assessment
- Current Treatment Practices
- Unmet Needs
- Pipeline Product Profiles
- Market Attractiveness
- Market Drivers and Barriers
- SWOT analysis
- What was the Burns market share (%) distribution in 2018 and how it would look like in 2030?
- What would be the Burns total market size as well as market size by therapies across the 7MM during the forecast period (2021–2030)?
- What are the key findings pertaining to the market across the 7MM and which country will have the largest Burns market size during the forecast period (2021–2030)?
- At what CAGR, the Burns market is expected to grow at the 7MM level during the forecast period (2021–2030)?
- What would be the Burns market outlook across the 7MM during the forecast period (2021–2030)?
- What would be the Burns market growth till 2030 and what will be the resultant market size in the year 2030?
- How would the market drivers, barriers, and future opportunities affect the market dynamics and subsequent analysis of the associated trends?
- What are the disease risk, burdens, and unmet needs of Burns?
- What is the historical Burns patient pool in the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the UK), and Japan?
- What would be the forecasted patient pool of Burns at the 7MM level?
- What will be the growth opportunities across the 7MM with respect to the patient population pertaining to Burns?
- Out of the above-mentioned countries, which country would have the highest population of Burns during the forecast period (2021–2030)?
- At what CAGR the population is expected to grow across the 7MM during the forecast period (2021–2030)?
Current Treatment Scenario, Marketed Drugs, and Emerging Therapies:
- What are the current options for the treatment of Burns along with the approved therapy?
- What are the current treatment guidelines for the treatment of Burns in the US and Europe?
- What are the Burns marketed drugs and their MOA, regulatory milestones, product development activities, advantages, disadvantages, safety, and efficacy, etc.?
- How many companies are developing therapies for the treatment of Burns?
- How many emerging therapies are in the mid-stage and late stages of development for the treatment of Burns?
- What are the key collaborations (Industry–Industry, Industry-Academia), Mergers and acquisitions, licensing activities related to the Burns therapies?
- What are the recent novel therapies, targets, mechanisms of action, and technologies developed to overcome the limitation of existing therapies?
- What are the clinical studies going on for Burns and their status?
- What are the key designations that have been granted for the emerging therapies for Burns?
- What are the 7MM historical and forecasted market of Burns?
Reasons to buy
- The report will help in developing business strategies by understanding trends shaping and driving Burns.
- To understand the future market competition in the Burns market and Insightful review of the key market drivers and barriers.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for Burns in the US, Europe (Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and the United Kingdom), and Japan.
- Identification of strong upcoming players in the market will help in devising strategies that will help in getting ahead of competitors.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for the Burns market.
- To understand the future market competition in the Burns market.