Cough In Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Ipf Market
DelveInsight’s ‘Cough in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF)-Market Insights, Epidemiology and Market Forecast– 2030’ report delivers an in-depth understanding of the cough in IPF, historical and forecasted epidemiology as well as the Cough in IPF market trends in the United States, EU5 (Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and United Kingdom) and Japan.
The cough in IPF market report provides current treatment practices, emerging drugs, and market share of the individual therapies, current and forecasted 7MM Cough in IPF market size from 2018 to 2030. The report also covers current cough in IPF treatment practice/algorithm, market drivers, market barriers and unmet medical needs to curate the best of the opportunities and assesses the underlying potential of the market.
- The United States
- EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom)
Study Period: 2018–2030
Cough in IPF Disease Understanding and Treatment Algorithm
Cough in IPF Overview
According to National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD), IPF is classified as a form of idiopathic interstitial pneumonia, a group of lung diseases that damage the lungs similarly and occur due to unknown causes. This group of disorders is also known as diffuse parenchymal lung diseases. Collectively, these disorders are classified under the broader umbrella term, interstitial lung diseases (ILDs). ILDs are a large group of disorders (more than 200) characterized by progressive scarring of the lungs. IPF is the most common form.
Many patients with IPF complain of cough. Cough is a distressing and disabling symptom with a major impact on quality of life. The mechanism(s) causing cough in IPF are not fully known. In general, coughing is mediated by specific types of sensory neurons that can be activated through mechanical and/or chemical stimuli. In IPF, one potential explanation for this cough is that increased mechanical stress on the lungs caused by fibrosis may cause increased sensitivity to cough triggers. Another hypothesis is that fibrosed tissue may be more sensitive to chemical triggers. Finally, changes in mucus production and clearance may also affect patients’ susceptibility to cough, based on the observation that patients with IPF who have mutations in MUC5B tend to have a more severe cough.
In general, chronic cough can impact severely on different aspects of life. Problems with sleeping, raucous vocal sounds, and musculoskeletal pain of the chest can occur. Chronic cough can cause relationship difficulties, avoidance of public areas, decreased social interaction, and work-related problems affecting physical, mental, and social health.
Cough in IPF Diagnosis
A diagnosis of IPF may be suspected based upon identification of characteristic symptoms, a detailed patient history, and a thorough clinical evaluation. A diagnosis may be confirmed based upon a variety of specialized tests, including traditional chest x-rays (radiography), computed tomography (CT) scans, pulmonary function tests, blood tests, and the surgical removal and microscopic examination of lung tissue (lung biopsy).
Detailed diagnostic criteria for IPF have been published by the combined efforts of several groups, including the American Thoracic Society, the European Respiratory Society, the Japanese Respiratory Society, and the Latin American Thoracic Association.
Cough in IPF Treatment
Therapies for cough in IPF can be divided into those that aim to suppress the cough reflex and those that specifically target the underlying pathology of IPF. Unfortunately, treatments aimed at the suppression of the cough reflex have limited efficacy. Some drugs act to suppress the central cough reflex (dextromethorphan, gabapentin, amitriptyline, and opioids), those that act to suppress sensory neurons (lidocaine, benzonatate), and those that are believed to act on airways to reduce inflammation, smooth muscle contraction, and mucus secretion (beta-agonists, leukotriene antagonists, macrolide antibiotics). Many over-the-counter cough remedies can be divided into cough suppressants, expectorants, mucolytics, antihistamines, or some combination of these medications. However, studies have found that most of these interventions have limited to no efficacy, and the benefit that they provide patients is often transient or limited by systemic side effects.
Standard therapies for cough, including opioids, are usually ineffective at alleviating this debilitating symptom. Although not tested in IPF cough, a few agents that target the cough reflex have shown efficacy in treating idiopathic chronic cough, specifically gabapentin, slow-release morphine sulfate, amitriptyline, and an inhibitor of the P2X3 receptor found along vagal afferents. Behavioral therapy performed by speech-language pathologists has also been used for the treatment of chronic cough, and this has shown improvement in cough severity as well as cough sensitivity as measured by capsaicin cough reflex.
Cough in IPF Epidemiology
The disease epidemiology covered in the report provides historical as well as forecasted epidemiology segmented by Total Diagnosed Prevalent Population of IPF and Prevalent Population of Cough in IPF in the 7MM market covering the United States, EU5 countries (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and United Kingdom) and Japan from 2018 to 2030.
- This section provides glimpse of the cough in IPF epidemiology in the 7MM.
- The total prevalent population of cough in IPF in the 7MM in 2020 is 184,445 and is expected to rise during the study period (2018–2030).
- Epidemiology assessed for cough in IPF showed that the US, in 2020, accounted for approximately 113,921 prevalent cases.
- Among the EU-5 countries in 2020, the UK had the highest prevalent population of cough in IPF patients with 26,950 cases, followed by Italy (13,916) and Germany (10,194). In contrast, Spain had the lowest cases (4,576) in 2020.
- Japan accounted for 10,186 prevalent cough in IPF cases in 2020.
Country Wise- Cough in IPF Epidemiology
The epidemiology segment also provides the cough in IPF epidemiology data and findings across the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom) and Japan.
Cough in IPF Drug Chapters
The drug chapter segment of the cough in IPF report encloses the detailed analysis of cough in IPF mid and late stage pipeline drugs. It also helps to understand the cough in IPF clinical trial details, expressive pharmacological action, agreements and collaborations, approval and patent details of each included drug and the latest news and press releases.
Cough in IPF Emerging Drugs
NP-120 (Ifenprodil): Algernon Pharmaceuticals
The Company– Algernon Pharmaceuticals’s lead compound in its IPF research program, Ifenprodil, is an orally delivered small molecule, which was originally developed by Sanofi to treat peripheral circulatory disorders. The drug is an N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist targeting the NMDA-type subunit 2B (GluN2B). It prevents glutamate signaling. The NMDA receptor is found on many tissues, including lung cells, T-cells, neutrophils, and certain cancer cells. In September 2021, the company announced its plans to file a pre-IND meeting request with the US FDA for an NP-120 Phase II chronic cough study.
Products detail in the report…
Nalbuphine ER: Trevi Therapeutics
Nalbuphine ER is an oral extended release formulation of nalbuphine. Nalbuphine is a mixed ĸ-opioid receptor agonist and µ-opioid receptor antagonist that has been approved and available only as nalbuphine hydrochloride for injection, a generic equivalent to Nubain, which has been approved in the United States and Europe for use in the relief of moderate to severe pain for more than 20 years. Currently, the company is conducting a Phase II clinical trial of Haduvio for chronic cough in patients with IPF. The Phase II (CANAL trial) study is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, two-treatment, two-period, crossover study designed to evaluate the efficacy, safety, tolerability, and dosing of Haduvio for chronic cough in up to 56 patients with IPF in the United Kingdom.
Products detail in the report…
Orvepitant Maleate: Nerre Therapeutics
Orvepitant (GW823296) is a novel generation brain penetrant, selective and potent, small molecule NK-1 receptor antagonist. It acts to reduce the central neural hypersensitivity that underlies chronic cough (National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS), n.d.). Orvepitant’s mode of action and characteristics made it a suitable candidate for treating common anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder, and major depressive disorder. Orvepitant, a neurokinin (NK)-1 receptor antagonist, as a first in class, once-daily breakthrough treatment for cough hypersensitivity disorders, has proven efficacy in patients with refractory or unexplained cough in clinical trials. NeRRe will now continue development in chronic cough caused by IPF, and preparations for the start of the Phase II trial to evaluate orvepitant as a treatment for disabling chronic cough associated with IPF are currently underway.
Products detail in the report…
Cough in IPF Market Outlook
The current market consists of off-label therapies mainly classified as Neuromodulating agents, Corticosteroids and Other Immmunomodulatory agents. Whereas the emerging players include Nerre Therapeutics, Algernon Pharmaceuticals, and Trevi Therapeutics, which are developing therapies to treat cough in IPF.
The lack of treatment and high frequency of cough in IPF severely impacts the quality of life of the patients. In the past few years, much progress has been made in understanding the complex molecular mechanisms underlying cough in IPF. Unfortunately, this has not yet translated into the approval of any novel treatment options till now. There is a high need for effective treatment in the market, and the first drug to cross the regulatory line will have an advantage and a chance to capture a good share in the market.
This section includes a glimpse of the Cough in IPF 7MM market.
- The United States accounts for the largest market size of cough in IPF, in comparison to EU5 (the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, France, and Spain) and Japan.
- The market size of Cough in IPF in the seven major markets was USD 163.5 Million in 2020.
- The United States accounted for the largest market size of cough in IPF USD 125.3 Million in 2020, in comparison to EU5 (the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, France, and Spain) and Japan.
- Among the EU5 countries, the United Kingdom had the largest market size with USD 14.6 Million in 2020, while Spain and France had the smallest market size of cough in IPF with USD 2.5 Million in 2020, which is expected to rise during the forecast period 2021–2030.
- Japan accounts for USD 5.5 Million in 2020, which is expected to rise during the forecast period 2021–2030.
The United States Market Outlook
This section provides the total cough in IPF market size and market size by therapies in the United States.
EU-5 Market Outlook
The total cough in IPF market size and market size by therapies in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom are provided in this section.
Japan Market Outlook
The total cough in IPF market size and market size by therapies in Japan are provided.
Cough in IPF Drugs Uptake
This section focusses on the rate of uptake of the potential drugs recently launched in the cough in IPF market or expected to get launched in the market during the study period 2018–2030. The analysis covers cough in IPF market uptake by drugs; patient uptake by therapies; and sales of each drug.
This helps in understanding the drugs with the most rapid uptake, reasons behind the maximal use of new drugs and allow the comparison of the drugs on the basis of market share and size which again will be useful in investigating factors important in market uptake and in making financial and regulatory decisions.
Cough in IPF Development Activities
The report provides insights into different therapeutic candidates in phase II, and phase III stage. It also analyzes key players involved in developing targeted therapeutics.
Pipeline Development Activities
The report covers the detailed information of collaborations, acquisition and merger, licensing and patent details for cough in IPF emerging therapies.
Competitive Intelligence Analysis
We perform competitive and market Intelligence analysis of the cough in IPF market by using various competitive intelligence tools that include–SWOT analysis, PESTLE analysis, Porter’s five forces, BCG Matrix, Market entry strategies, etc. The inclusion of the analysis entirely depends upon the data availability.
Scope of the Report
- The report covers the descriptive overview of cough in IPF, explaining its causes, signs and symptoms, pathogenesis and currently available therapies.
- Comprehensive insight has been provided into the cough in IPF epidemiology and treatment.
- Additionally, an all-inclusive account of both the current and emerging therapies for cough in IPF are provided, along with the assessment of new therapies, which will have an impact on the current treatment landscape.
- A detailed review of cough in IPF market; historical and forecasted is included in the report, covering the 7MM drug outreach.
- The report provides an edge while developing business strategies, by understanding trends shaping and driving the 7MM cough in IPF market.
- In the coming years, cough in IPF market is set to change due to the rising awareness of the disease, and incremental healthcare spending across the world; which would expand the size of the market to enable the drug manufacturers to penetrate more into the market.
- The companies and academics are working to assess challenges and seek opportunities that could influence cough in IPF R&D. The therapies under development are focused on novel approaches to treat/improve the disease condition.
- Report covers Diagnosed Prevalence of IPF and Prevalent cases of cough in IPF patients.
- Major players such as Algernon Pharmaceuticals, Trevi Therapeutics, and Nerre Therapeutics are involved in developing therapies for cough in IPF. Launch of emerging therapies will significantly impact the cough in IPF market.
- The current US market of cough in IPF is mainly dominated by the use of neuromodulators (gabapentin, pregabalin along with several others). Opioids, including morphine, also possess antitussive activity via neuromodulation and are used in the palliative setting. Besides these, many over-the-counter cough remedies are also utilized.
- DelveInsight estimates that there are several upcoming therapies targeting specific cough in IPF patient pool, which are catering to the needs of these earlier non-targeted patients are going to grab the market during the coming years.
Cough in IPF Report Insights
- Patient Population
- Therapeutic Approaches
- Cough in IPF Pipeline Analysis
- Cough in IPF Market Size and Trends
- Market Opportunities
- Impact of upcoming Therapies
Cough in IPF Report Key Strengths
- Ten Years Forecast
- 7MM Coverage
- Cough in IPF Epidemiology Segmentation
- Key Cross Competition
- Highly Analyzed Market
- Drugs Uptake
Cough in IPF Report Assessment
- Current Treatment Practices
- Unmet Needs
- Pipeline Product Profiles
- Market Attractiveness
- Market Drivers and Barriers
- What was the cough in IPF market share (%) distribution in 2018 and how it would look like in 2030?
- What would be the cough in IPF total market size as well as market size by therapies across the 7MM during the forecast period (2021–2030)?
- What are the key findings pertaining to the market across the 7MM and which country will have the largest cough in IPF market size during the forecast period (2021–2030)?
- At what CAGR, the cough in IPF market is expected to grow at the 7MM level during the forecast period (2021–2030)?
- What would be the cough in IPF market outlook across the 7MM during the forecast period (2021–2030)?
- What would be the cough in IPF market growth till 2030 and what will be the resultant market size in the year 2030?
- How would the market drivers, barriers and future opportunities affect the market dynamics and subsequent analysis of the associated trends?
- What is the disease risk, burden and unmet needs of cough in IPF?
- What is the historical cough in IPF patient pool in the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the UK) and Japan?
- What would be the forecasted patient pool of cough in IPF at the 7MM level?
- What will be the growth opportunities across the 7MM with respect to the patient population pertaining to cough in IPF?
- Out of the above-mentioned countries, which country would have the highest prevalent population of cough in IPF during the forecast period (2021–2030)?
- At what CAGR the population is expected to grow across the 7MM during the forecast period (2021–2030)?
Current Treatment Scenario, Marketed Drugs and Emerging Therapies:
- What are the current options for the treatment of cough in IPF along with the approved therapy?
- What are the current treatment guidelines for the treatment of cough in IPF in the US and Europe?
- What are the cough in IPF marketed drugs and their MOA, regulatory milestones, product development activities, advantages, disadvantages, safety and efficacy, etc.?
- How many companies are developing therapies for the treatment of cough in IPF?
- How many therapies are developed by each company for the treatment of cough in IPF?
- How many emerging therapies are in the mid-stage and late stage of development for the treatment of cough in IPF?
- What are the key collaborations (Industry–Industry, Industry–Academia), Mergers and acquisitions, licensing activities related to the cough in IPF therapies?
- What are the recent novel therapies, targets, mechanisms of action and technologies developed to overcome the limitation of existing therapies?
- What are the clinical studies going on for cough in IPF and their status?
- What are the key designations that have been granted for the emerging therapies for cough in IPF?
- What are the 7MM historical and forecasted market of cough in IPF?
Reasons to buy
- The report will help in developing business strategies by understanding trends shaping and driving the cough in IPF.
- To understand the future market competition in the cough in IPF market and Insightful review of the key market drivers and barriers.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for cough in IPF in the US, Europe (Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and the United Kingdom) and Japan.
- Identification of strong upcoming players in the market will help in devising strategies that will help in getting ahead of competitors.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for cough in IPF market.
- To understand the future market competition in the cough in IPF market.