Down Syndrome Market
DelveInsight’s “Down Syndrome (DS) – Market Insights, Epidemiology, and Market Forecast – 2030” report delivers an in-depth understanding of the historical and forecasted epidemiology and the market trends of Down syndrome (DS) in the United States, EU5 (Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and United Kingdom), and Japan.
The Down syndrome (DS) market report provides current treatment practices, emerging drugs, market share of the individual therapies, and current and forecasted Down syndrome market Size from 2017 to 2030, segmented by seven major markets. The report also covers current Down syndrome (DS) treatment practice/algorithm, market drivers, market barriers, and unmet medical needs to curate the best opportunities and assesses the underlying market potential.
• The United States
• EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom)
Study Period: 2017–2030
Down syndrome (DS) Disease Understanding and Treatment Algorithm
Down syndrome (DS) Overview
Down syndrome (DS) is a rare genetic disorder caused by the deficiency in functional C1 inhibitor. It is a chromosomal condition associated with intellectual disability, a characteristic facial appearance, and weak muscle tone (hypotonia) in infancy. All affected individuals experience cognitive delays, but the intellectual disability is usually mild to moderate.
It is a genetic disorder, which is due to the presence of 47 chromosomes instead of 46, with an extra copy of chromosome 21. The extra copy of chromosome 21, which may either be full or partial, depending on the variant, causes the abnormality and associated structural and functional anomalies of the bodily systems. There are three types of Down syndrome: trisomy 21 (nondisjunction), translocation, and mosaicism. Trisomy 21, the most common type of Down syndrome, occurs when there are three, rather than two, number 21 chromosomes present in every cell of the body.
Regardless of the type of Down syndrome a person may have, all people with DS have an extra, critical portion of chromosome 21 present in all or some of their cells. This additional genetic material alters the course of development and causes the characteristics associated with the condition.
The cause of the extra full or partial chromosome is still unknown. Maternal age is the only factor that has been linked to an increased chance of having a baby with Down syndrome resulting from nondisjunction or mosaicism. However, due to higher birth rates in younger women, 80% of children with Down syndrome are born to women under 35.
It is the most commonly diagnosed chromosomal abnormality in live-born infants and the most recognized congenital aneuploidy (presence of an erroneous number of chromosomes, e.g., 45 or 47) associated with delayed physical and mental development.
Down syndrome (DS) Diagnosis and Treatment
It covers the details of conventional and current medical therapies and diagnosis available in the Down syndrome (DS) market to treat the condition. It also provides the country-wise treatment guidelines and algorithms across the United States, Europe, and Japan.
The DelveInsight Down syndrome (DS) market report gives a thorough understanding of Down syndrome symptoms by including details such as disease definition, symptoms, causes, pathophysiology, and diagnosis. It also provides Down syndrome symptoms of treatment algorithms and treatment guidelines for Down syndrome symptoms in the US, Europe, and Japan.
Down syndrome (DS) Epidemiology
The Down syndrome symptoms epidemiology division provides insights about the historical and current patient pool along with the forecasted trend for every seven major countries. It helps to recognize the causes of current and forecasted trends by exploring numerous studies and views of key opinion leaders. This part of the DelveInsight report also provides the diagnosed patient pool and their trends along with assumptions undertaken.
The disease epidemiology covered in the report provides historical as well as forecasted Down syndrome (DS) epidemiology segmented as the total diagnosed prevalent cases of Down syndrome, type-specific diagnosed prevalent population of Down syndrome, gender-specific diagnosed prevalent population of Down syndrome, age-specific diagnosed prevalent population of Down syndrome, and diagnosed prevalent population of down syndrome by clinical manifestation. The report includes the prevalent scenario of Down syndrome symptoms in 7MM covering the United States, EU5 countries (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom), and Japan from 2017 to 2030.
Country-wise Down Syndrome (DS) Epidemiology
The epidemiology segment also provides the Down syndrome (DS) epidemiology data and findings across the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom), and Japan.
The total diagnosed prevalent population of Down syndrome (DS) in 7MM countries was estimated to be 699,750 cases in 2017.
Down syndrome (DS) Drug Chapters
The drug chapter segment of the Down syndrome (DS) report encloses the detailed analysis of Down syndrome marketed drugs and late stage (Phase-III and Phase-II) pipeline drugs. It also helps to understand the Down syndrome (DS) clinical trial details, expressive pharmacological action, agreements and collaborations, approval and patent details, advantages and disadvantages of each included drug, and the latest news and press releases.
Products detail in the report…
Down syndrome (DS) Emerging Drugs
ANVS-401 (Annovis Bio)
Annovis Bio is developing ANVS-401 as a combination therapy approach to inhibit the translation of multiple neurotoxic proteins such as APP/Aβ, tau/phospho-tau, and α-synuclein. The ANVS-401 may improve the axonal transport, increase synaptic transmission, prevent inflammation, and restore cascade events by reducing APP, tau, and Alpha-synuclein levels and preserving the health of nerve cells. The company is planning to obtain human data for AD in Down syndrome than in the regular AD population. Henceforth, it plans to conduct Phase III pivotal study in AD-DS rather than in AD.
Products detail in the report…
Down syndrome (DS) Market Outlook
The Down syndrome (DS) market outlook of the report helps to build a detailed comprehension of the historical, current, and forecasted Down syndrome (DS) market trends by analyzing the impact of current therapies on the market, unmet needs, drivers and barriers, and demand of better technology.
This segment gives a thorough detail of Down syndrome (DS) market trend of each marketed drug and late-stage pipeline therapy by evaluating their impact based on the annual cost of therapy, inclusion and exclusion criteria’s, mechanism of action, compliance rate, growing need of the market, increasing patient pool, covered patient segment, expected launch year, competition with other therapies, brand value, their impact on the market and view of the key opinion leaders. The calculated market data are presented with relevant tables and graphs to give a clear view of the market at first sight.
According to DelveInsight, the Down syndrome (DS) market in 7MM is expected to change in the study period 2017–2030.
The current market of Down syndrome is dominated by the use of supportive therapies depending on the manifestations such as anti-anxiety medications, anticonvulsants, antidepressants, anti-hypertension medications, antipsychotic medications, antispasmodics, cholesterol-lowering medications, cholinesterase inhibitors, GERD-related medications (e.g., proton pump inhibitors), hormones (other than thyroid-related hormones and others.
This section includes a glimpse of the Down syndrome (DS) market in 7MM. The market size of Down syndrome in the seven major markets was found to be USD 662.9 million in 2017.
The United States Market Outlook
This section provides the total Down syndrome (DS) market size and market size by therapies in the United States.
The United States accounts for the highest market size of Down syndrome in comparison to the EU5 (the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, France, and Spain) and Japan.
For tonic-clonic seizures or infantile spasms, anticonvulsants are generally provided. In the case of psychiatric disorders, pharmacologic agents, psychotherapy, or behavioral therapy are recommended. For skin disorders, weight reduction, proper hygiene, frequent baths, antibiotic ointment, or systemic antibiotic therapy are recommended. Furthermore, for dental caries and periodontal disease, appropriate dental hygiene, fluoride treatments, good dietary habits, and restorative care are generally considered.
EU-5 Countries: Market Outlook
The total Down syndrome (DS) market size and market size by therapies in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom are provided in this section.
In Europe, the prevalence of Down syndrome has increased over time, and scientists attribute this to the steady increase in the average maternal age, as the condition is known to be more frequent in children born to older mothers. Scientists also point to regional differences in pregnancy outcomes and prenatal diagnoses across Europe.
While some physical deficits in DS may be corrected with surgery, medications are often used to manage various comorbid health conditions in individuals with DS. Rivastigmine, galantamine, memantine, and donepezil have been used to treat Down syndrome-associated dementia (DSAD). Other studies did not show significant improvement in subjects with DSAD who were treated with donepezil. Patients with DS can have high utilization rates of antidepressant and antipsychotic medications.
Japan Market Outlook
The total Down syndrome (DS) market size and market size by therapies in Japan are also mentioned.
Down syndrome (DS) Drugs Uptake
This section focuses on the rate of uptake of the potential drugs recently launched or expected to get launched in the market during the study period 2017–2030. The analysis covers Down syndrome (DS) market uptake by drugs, patient uptake by therapies, and sales of each drug.
This helps in understanding the drugs with the most rapid uptake, reasons behind the maximal use of new drugs, and allows the comparison of the drugs based on market share and size, which again will be useful in investigating factors important in the market uptake and in making financial and regulatory decisions.
Down Syndrome (DS) Pipeline Development Activities
The report provides insights into different therapeutic candidates in Phase II and Phase III stage. It also analyses Down syndrome (DS) key players involved in developing targeted therapeutics.
Some of the major players and their rug candidates expected to get launched during the forecast period (2020–2030) include Annovis Bio (ANVS-401), AC Immune (ACI-24), Alzheon (ALZ-801), Balance Therapeutics (BTD-001), Aelis Farma (AEF0217), and others.
Pipeline Development Activities
The report covers the detailed information of collaborations, mergers and acquisitions, licensing, and patent details for Down syndrome (DS) emerging therapies.
Reimbursement Scenario in Down syndrome (DS)
Many children with DS are included as secondary subscribers under their parents’ employer-subsidized healthcare plans. In this case, those families who have higher deductibles might end up having more out-of-pocket expenses simply because children with DS typically have more outpatient appointments than neurotypically developing peers have. Children and adolescents with non-mosaic DS are also automatically eligible for Medicaid as either a primary or secondary healthcare insurance; however, co-pays can vary based on parental income and differing state regulations. For instance, a single-parent, low-income household might have all of the out-of-pocket healthcare expenditures for a child with DS covered by Medicaid; whereas, a middle-income household might have a monthly co-pay for the same Medicaid coverage.
To keep up with current market trends, we take KOLs and SME’s opinion working in Down syndrome (DS) domain through primary research to fill the data gaps and validate our secondary research. Their opinion helps to understand and validate current and emerging therapies treatment patterns or Down syndrome (DS) market trends. This will support the clients in potential upcoming novel treatment by identifying the overall scenario of the market and the unmet needs.
Competitive Intelligence Analysis
We perform Competitive & Market Intelligence analysis of the Down syndrome (DS) Market by using various Competitive Intelligence tools: SWOT analysis, PESTLE analysis, Porter’s five forces, BCG Matrix, Market entry strategies, etc. The inclusion of the analysis entirely depends upon the data availability.
Scope of the Report
• The report covers the descriptive overview of Down syndrome (DS), explaining its causes, signs and symptoms, pathophysiology, and currently available therapies
• Comprehensive insight has been provided into the Down syndrome (DS) epidemiology and treatment in the 7MM
• Additionally, an all-inclusive account of both the current and emerging therapies for Down syndrome (DS) is provided, along with the assessment of new therapies, which will have an impact on the current treatment landscape
• A detailed review of the Down syndrome (DS) market; historical and forecasted, is included in the report, covering drug outreach in the 7MM
• The report provides an edge while developing business strategies by understanding trends shaping and driving the global Down syndrome (DS) market
• In the coming years, the Down syndrome (DS) market is set to change due to the rising awareness of the disease and incremental healthcare spending across the world; which would expand the size of the market to enable the drug manufacturers to penetrate more into the market
• The companies and academics are working to assess challenges and seek opportunities that could influence Down syndrome (DS) R&D. The therapies under development are focused on novel approaches to treat/improve the disease condition
• Major players are involved in developing therapies for Down syndrome. The launch of emerging therapies will significantly impact the Down syndrome (DS) market
• A better understanding of disease pathogenesis will also contribute to the development of novel therapeutics for Down syndrome.
• Our in-depth analysis of the pipeline assets across different stages of development (Phase III and Phase II), different emerging trends, and comparative analysis of pipeline products with detailed clinical profiles, key cross-competition, launch date along with product development activities will support the clients in the decision-making process regarding their therapeutic portfolio by identifying the overall scenario of the research and development activities
Down syndrome (DS) Report Insights
• Patient Population
• Therapeutic Approaches
• Down syndrome (DS) Pipeline Analysis
• Down syndrome (DS) Market Size and Trends
• Market Opportunities
• Impact of upcoming Therapies
Down syndrome (DS) Report Key Strengths
• 11-years Forecast
• 7MM Coverage
• Down syndrome (DS) Epidemiology Segmentation
• Key Competitors
• Highly Analyzed Market
• Drugs Uptake
Down syndrome (DS) Report Assessment
• Current Treatment Practices
• Unmet Needs
• Pipeline Product Profiles
• Market Attractiveness
• Market Drivers and Barriers
• What was the Down syndrome (DS) Market share (%) distribution in 2017, and how would it look like in 2030?
• What would be the Down syndrome (DS) total market Size as well as market Size by therapies across the 7MM during the forecast period (2017–2030)?
• What are the key findings of the market across 7MM, and which country will have the largest Down syndrome (DS) market Size during the forecast period (2017–2030)?
• At what CAGR, the Down syndrome (DS) market is expected to grow in 7MM during the forecast period (2017–2030)?
• What would be the Down syndrome (DS) market outlook across the 7MM during the forecast period (2017–2030)?
• What would be the Down syndrome (DS) market growth till 2030, and what will be the resultant market Size in the year 2030?
• How would the market drivers, barriers, and future opportunities affect the market dynamics and subsequent analysis of the associated trends?
• What are the disease risk, burden, and unmet needs of Down syndrome (DS)?
• What is the historical Down syndrome (DS) patient pool in seven major markets covering the United States, EU5 (Germany, Spain, France, Italy, UK) & Japan?
• What would be the forecasted patient pool of Down syndrome (DS) in seven major markets covering the United States, EU5 (Germany, Spain, France, Italy, UK) & Japan?
• What will be the growth opportunities in the 7MM concerning the patient population with Down syndrome (DS)?
• Out of all 7MM countries, which country would have the highest prevalent population of Down syndrome (DS) during the forecast period (2017–2030)?
• At what CAGR the population is expected to grow in 7MM during the forecast period (2017–2030)?
Current Treatment Scenario, Marketed Drugs, and Emerging Therapies:
• What are the current options for the treatment of Down syndrome (DS)?
• What are the current treatment guidelines for the treatment of Down syndrome (DS) in the USA, Europe, and Japan?
• What are the Down syndrome (DS) marketed drugs and their MOA, regulatory milestones, product development activities, advantages, disadvantages, safety and efficacy, etc.?
• How many companies are developing therapies for the treatment of Down syndrome (DS)?
• How many therapies are developed by each company for the treatment of Down syndrome (DS)?
• How many emerging therapies are in the mid-stage and late stages of development for the treatment of Down syndrome (DS)?
• What are the key collaborations (Industry–Industry, Industry-Academia), Mergers and acquisitions, licensing activities related to the Down syndrome (DS) therapies?
• What are the recent novel therapies, targets, mechanisms of action, and technologies developed to overcome the limitation of existing therapies?
• What are the clinical studies going on for Down syndrome (DS) and their status?
• What are the key designations that have been granted for the emerging therapies for Down syndrome (DS)?
• What are the global historical and forecasted market of Down syndrome (DS)?
Reasons to buy
• The report will help in developing business strategies by understanding trends shaping and driving the Down syndrome (DS) market
• To understand the future market competition in the Down syndrome (DS) market and Insightful review of the key market drivers and barriers
• Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for Down syndrome (DS) in the US, Europe (Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and the United Kingdom), and Japan
• Identification of strong upcoming players in the market will help in devising strategies that will help in getting ahead of competitors
• Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for Down syndrome (DS) market
• To understand the future market competition in the Down syndrome (DS) market