Polycystic Kidney Disease Pipeline Insight
DelveInsight’s, “Polycystic Kidney Disease – Pipeline Insight, 2021,” report provides comprehensive insights about 22+ companies and 22+ pipeline drugs in Polycystic Kidney Disease pipeline landscape. It covers the pipeline drug profiles, including clinical and nonclinical stage products. It also covers the therapeutics assessment by product type, stage, route of administration, and molecule type. It further highlights the inactive pipeline products in this space.
Polycystic Kidney Disease Understanding
Polycystic Kidney Disease: Overview
Polycystic Kidney Disease is an inherited disorder in which clusters of cysts develop within kidneys, causing them to enlarge and lose function over time. Cysts are noncancerous round sacs containing fluid. The cysts vary in size, and they can grow very large. PKD cysts can slowly replace much of the kidneys, reducing kidney function and leading to kidney failure. Polycystic kidney disease can also cause cysts to develop in other body parts like liver. PKD varies greatly in its severity, and some complications are preventable.
The symptoms of Polycystic Kidney Disease include:
- Back or side pain
- An increase in the size of the abdomen
- Blood in the urine
- Frequent bladder or kidney infections
- High blood pressure
- Kidney stones
- Fluttering or pounding in the chest
- Urinary tract or kidney infections
Ultrasound is the most reliable, inexpensive and non-invasive way to diagnose Polycystic Kidney Disease. A CT scan (computed tomography scan) and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) may detect smaller cysts that cannot be found by an ultrasound. MRI is used to measure and monitor volume and growth of kidneys and cysts. Genetic testing is recommended where diagnosis based on imaging tests is uncertain.
Treatment of people with the disease focuses on managing symptoms and treating complications. Prompt treatment with antibiotics of a bladder or kidney infection may help. Medication to control pain and a healthy lifestyle with regard to smoking cessation, exercise, weight control and reduced salt intake and drinking lots of plain water throughout the day help in slowing down the progression of disease. In 2018, the FDA approved tolvaptan (brand name Jynarque) as a treatment for ADPKD. Controlling high blood pressure can also delay the progression of the disease and slow further kidney damage.
- The companies and academics are working to assess challenges and seek opportunities that could influence Polycystic Kidney Disease R&D. The therapies under development are focused on novel approaches to treat/improve Polycystic Kidney Disease.
- In May 2019, Otsuka Pharmaceutical and the Japan Kidney Association, a non-profit organization, have concluded a comprehensive agreement to collaborate in Japan on raising the level of disease awareness and medical care for autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD), a rare and incurable disease of the kidney.
Polycystic Kidney Disease Emerging Drugs Chapters
This segment of the Polycystic Kidney Disease report encloses its detailed analysis of various drugs in different stages of clinical development, including phase II, I, preclinical and Discovery. It also helps to understand clinical trial details, expressive pharmacological action, agreements and collaborations, and the latest news and press releases.
Polycystic Kidney Disease Emerging Drugs
Bardoxolone methyl: Reata Pharmaceuticals
Bardoxolone methyl is an experimental, oral, once-daily activator of Nrf2, a transcription factor that promotes the resolution of inflammation by restoring mitochondrial function, reducing oxidative stress, and inhibiting pro-inflammatory signaling. The molecule is currently under Phase III study for the treatment of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD).
Oxipurinol - XORTX Therapeutics
Oxipurinol (XRx-008) is a xanthine oxidase inhibitor that specifically decreases production of uric acid. Purine xanthine oxidase inhibitors such as Oxypurinol have also exhibited the ability to decrease free oxygen radical production, inflammatory cytokine expression, and fibrosis and in addition have anti-viral properties. It is currently under Phase II/III development program for the treatment of Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease (ADPKD).
Further product details are provided in the report……..
Polycystic Kidney Disease: Therapeutic Assessment
This segment of the report provides insights about the different Polycystic Kidney Disease drugs segregated based on following parameters that define the scope of the report, such as:
- Major Players in Polycystic Kidney Disease
There are approx. 22+ key companies which are developing the therapies for Polycystic Kidney Disease. The companies which have their Polycystic Kidney Disease drug candidates in the most advanced stage, i.e. phase III include, Abbott.
DelveInsight’s report covers around 22+ products under different phases of clinical development like
- Late stage products (Phase III)
- Mid-stage products (Phase II)
- Early-stage product (Phase I) along with the details of
- Pre-clinical and Discovery stage candidates
- Discontinued & Inactive candidates
- Route of Administration
Polycystic Kidney Disease pipeline report provides the therapeutic assessment of the pipeline drugs by the Route of Administration. Products have been categorized under various ROAs such as
- Molecule Type
Products have been categorized under various Molecule types such as
- Monoclonal Antibody
- Small molecule
- Gene therapy
- Product Type
Drugs have been categorized under various product types like Mono, Combination and Mono/Combination.
Polycystic Kidney Disease: Pipeline Development Activities
The report provides insights into different therapeutic candidates in phase III, II, I, preclinical and discovery stage. It also analyses Polycystic Kidney Disease therapeutic drugs key players involved in developing key drugs.
Pipeline Development Activities
The report covers the detailed information of collaborations, acquisition and merger, licensing along with a thorough therapeutic assessment of emerging Polycystic Kidney Disease drugs.
Polycystic Kidney Disease Report Insights
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Pipeline Analysis
- Therapeutic Assessment
- Unmet Needs
- Impact of Drugs
Polycystic Kidney Disease Report Assessment
- Pipeline Product Profiles
- Therapeutic Assessment
- Pipeline Assessment
- Inactive drugs assessment
- Unmet Needs
Current Treatment Scenario and Emerging Therapies:
- How many companies are developing Polycystic Kidney Disease drugs?
- How many Polycystic Kidney Disease drugs are developed by each company?
- How many emerging drugs are in mid-stage, and late-stage of development for the treatment of Polycystic Kidney Disease?
- What are the key collaborations (Industry–Industry, Industry–Academia), Mergers and acquisitions, licensing activities related to the Polycystic Kidney Disease therapeutics?
- What are the recent trends, drug types and novel technologies developed to overcome the limitation of existing therapies?
- What are the clinical studies going on for Polycystic Kidney Disease and their status?
- What are the key designations that have been granted to the emerging drugs?