West syndrome is an age-related specific epileptic encephalopathy due to multiple and diverse causes. It is characterized by a unique type of seizure called epileptic (infantile) spasms and gross EEG abnormalities of hypsarrhythmia. Usually, West syndrome consists of a characteristic triad: infantile spasms, the arrest of psychomotor development, and hypsarrhythmia, although one element may be missing. Spasms may be flexor, extensor, lightning, or nods, but most commonly they are mixed. Onset peaks are observed between the ages of 4–7 months and always occur before the age of 1 year. Also, boys are more commonly affected, and the prognosis is generally poor.
West Syndrome Epidemiological Segmentation
The Epidemiological Segmentation of West Syndrome in 7MM from 2018 to 2030 is segmented as:-
- Total Prevalent Population of West Syndrome
- Gender-Specific Diagnosed Prevalent Population of West Syndrome
- Total Diagnosed Prevalent Population of West Syndrome
West Syndrome Epidemiology (2020)
- The total diagnosed prevalent population of West Syndrome in 7MM was 8,601.
- The gender-specific diagnosed prevalent population of West Syndrome were observed in the United States:-
- Males- 2,559 cases
- Females- 1,706 cases
- The total number of West Syndrome prevalent cases in the United Kingdom was found to be 738.
- The total West Syndrome prevalent cases in France were 784.
- In Japan, the total number of West Syndrome prevalent cases was observed to be 1,166.
- The total number of West Syndrome cases in Spain was estimated to be 475.
The therapeutic market size of West Syndrome in 7MM in 2020 was USD 182.4 million.
West Syndrome Market Drivers
- Clinical development activities
- Product innovations and technological advancements
- Support from various organizations
- Rising prevalence of infantile spasms
West Syndrome Market Barriers
- Delayed diagnosis and treatment
- Serious side effects of medications
- Lack of prevalence-based studies for infantile spasms
- Challenges in conducting clinical trials for rare diseases
- Lack of late phase clinical studies
West Syndrome Emerging Drugs
The emerging drugs of the West Syndrome market are:
- Cannabidiol (CBD) oral solution: INSYS Therapeutics
- Epidiolex (GWP42003-P): GW Pharmaceuticals
- JBPOS0101: BioPharm Solutions
And many more
West Syndrome Key Players
The key players in the West Syndrome market are:
- INSYS Therapeutics
- GW Pharmaceuticals
- BioPharm Solutions
And many more