Acute Kidney Injury Aki Market
DelveInsight's "Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) - Market Insights, Epidemiology, and Market Forecast-2030" report delivers an in-depth understanding of the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI), historical and forecasted epidemiology as well as the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market trends in the United States, EU5 (Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and United Kingdom) and Japan.
The Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market report provides current treatment practices, emerging drugs, Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market share of the individual therapies, current and forecasted Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market Size from 2017 to 2030 segmented by seven major markets. The Report also covers current Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) treatment practice/algorithm, market drivers, market barriers and unmet medical needs to curate best of the opportunities and assesses the underlying potential of the market.
- The United States
- EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom)
Study Period: 2017-2030
Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Disease Understanding and Treatment Algorithm
AKI is characterized by a rapid fall in glomerular filtration rate, clinically manifest as an abrupt and sustained rise in urea and creatinine. Life threatening consequences include volume overload, hyperkalaemia, and metabolic acidosis. As per the American Kidney Foundation organization, AKI was formerly called Acute Kidney Injury. The disease leads to abrupt loss of kidney function, leading to the retention of waste products, electrolyte disturbances, and volume status changes.
Acute Kidney Injury is classified into three different phases including prerenal, postrenal and intrinsic renal. Pre-renal ARI is characterized by inadequate blood circulation to the kidneys, which leaves them to clean the body properly. Post-renal is characterized by acute obstruction to urinary flow which increases intratubular pressure and decreases GFR. Intrinsic AKI is the third type, which shows direct damage to kidneys by inflammation, toxins, drugs, and infections. The risk factors associated with AKI include age, exposure to nephrotoxins, family history, race and ethnicity, gender and others.
The DelveInsight Acute Kidney Injury market report gives the thorough understanding of the AKI by including details such as disease introduction, signs and symptoms, types of AKI, risk factors, causes, pathophysiology, stages of classification, biomarkers and diagnosis. It also provides treatment algorithms and treatment guidelines for AKI in the US, Europe, and Japan.
The diagnosis of AKI is traditionally based on a rise in serum creatinine and/or fall in urine output. The definition has evolved from the Risk, Injury, Failure, Loss, End-stage (RIFLE) criteria in 2004 to the AKI Network (AKIN) classification in 2007. In 2012, both were merged resulting in the Kidney Disease Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) classification. Accordingly, AKI is diagnosed if serum creatinine increases by 0.3 mg/dl (26.5 μmol/l) or more in 48 h or rises to at least 1.5-fold from baseline within 7 days. AKI stages are defined by the maximum change of either serum creatinine or urine output. The importance of both criteria was confirmed in a recent study in >32,000 critically ill patients which showed that short- and long-term risk of death or renal replacement therapy (RRT) were greatest when patients met both criteria for AKI and when these abnormalities persisted for longer than 3 days.
For diagnosing the disease, a patient history and physical examination are very crucial. The history should identify the use of nephrotoxic medications or systemic illnesses that might cause poor renal perfusion or directly impair renal function. Physical examination should assess intravascular volume status and any skin rashes indicative of systemic illness. The initial laboratory evaluation should include urinalysis, complete blood count, and measurement of serum creatinine level and fractional excretion of sodium. There are some tests which are generally used to diagnose the disease.
Management and treatment landscape of acute kidney injury involves fluid resuscitation, avoidance of nephrotoxic medications and contrast media exposure, and correction of electrolyte imbalances. Renal replacement therapy (dialysis) is indicated for refractory hyperkalemia; volume overload; intractable acidosis; uremic encephalopathy, pericarditis, or pleuritis; and removal of certain toxins. Recognition of risk factors (e.g., older age, sepsis, hypovolemia/shock, cardiac surgery, infusion of contrast agents, diabetes mellitus, preexisting chronic kidney disease, cardiac failure, liver failure) is important. Team-based approaches for prevention, early diagnosis, and aggressive management are critical for improving outcomes.
Supportive therapies (e.g., antibiotics, maintenance of adequate nutrition, mechanical ventilation, glycemic control, anemia management) should be pursued based on standard management practices. In patients with rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis, treatment with pulse steroids, cytotoxic therapy, or a combination may be considered, often after confirmation of the diagnosis by kidney biopsy.
It covers the details of conventional and current medical therapies available in the AKI market for the treatment of the various types of AKI. It also provides the treatment guidelines and algorithms of the United States and Europe. The DelveInsight’s Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market report gives a thorough understanding of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) by including details such as disease introduction, causes, risk factors, pathogenesis, and diagnosis.
Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Epidemiology
The disease epidemiology covered in the report provides historical as well as forecasted epidemiology segmented by Incident Cases of Acute Kidney Injury, Discharge Diagnosed Cases of Acute Kidney Injury, Stage-Wise Discharged Diagnosed Cases of Acute Kidney Injury, Risk Factor Associated Acute Kidney Injury Cases and Renal Transplantation Associated Delayed Graft Function scenario of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) in the 7MM market covering the United States, EU5 countries (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and United Kingdom) and Japan from 2017 to 2030.
This section provides glimpse of the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) epidemiology in the 7MM.
- The total incident population of Acute Kidney Injury in the seven major markets was found to be 1,525,519 in 2017. In the United States the incident population of Acute Kidney Injury was 895,078 in 2017, which is expected to increase in the forecast period (2020–2030).
- DelveInsight also estimates higher Diagnosed Discharge Cases of AKI in the United States with 532,830 diagnosed discharge cases found in 2017.
- According to KIDGO staging; stage II AKI corresponds to the relatively higher diagnosed discharge population with 223,789 cases in 2017 in the United States.
Country Wise- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Epidemiology
The epidemiology segment also provides the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) epidemiology data and findings across the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom), and Japan.
Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Drug Chapters
Drug chapter segment of the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) report encloses the detailed analysis of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) marketed drugs and late stage (Phase-III and Phase-II) pipeline drugs. It also helps to understand the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) clinical trial details, expressive pharmacological action, agreements and collaborations, approval and patent details, advantages and disadvantages of each included drug and the latest news and press releases.
Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Emerging Drugs
EA-230: Exponential Biotherapies
EA-230 is being developed by Exponential Biotherapies, is an intravenously administered chemically synthesized linear peptide, a derivative of the human pregnancy hormone used for immunomodulation. During the preclinical studies, the drug has shown anti-inflammatory properties and protects against organ failure in several animal models of sepsis or systemic inflammation which lead to acute kidney injury. Most notably, EA-230 has shown marked protective effects in the kidney during abdominal sepsis in animals. As EA-230 attenuates the proinflammatory response in neutrophils and monocytes ex vivo, and neutrophil influx in tissues during systemic inflammation in vivo is abrogated, EA-230 acts by protecting the host against the detrimental effects of neutrophils during acute systemic inflammatory diseases, thereby preventing organ damage, especially in the kidney. EA-230 is under development by Exponential Biotherapies in collaboration with Radboud University.
Product detail in the report…
RESCAP (Rescuing Alkaline Phosphatase), is an endogenous enzyme based on Alkaline Phosphatase (AP) a naturally occurring protein present in the body. It works as prophylactic and therapeutic anti-inflammatory protein that prevents ischemic injury by neutralizing and detoxifying inflammatory triggers that may derail the immune system. In acute settings, RESCAP triggers enhanced endogenous production of AP by the body, thereby boosting innate defense systems. bRESCAP is the type of RESCAP based on calf intestine from BSE free countries. It has a fast onset of action, a high dosing efficacy and a short residence time in the body (half-life of a few minutes), which makes the drug ideal for acute clinical disorder treatments.
ANG-3777 (BB3): Angion Biomedica
ANG-3777 (also known as BB3 and refanalin) is a small molecule hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor (HGF/SF) being developed by Angion Biomedica. Its development is grounded in decades of research investigating the role of the HGF/c-Met pathway in organ repair. When an organ is injured, HGF expression peaks around 2 h but c-Met receptor expression peaks around 24–36 h, creating a mismatch between HGF and c-Met potentially resulting in suboptimal rates of organ self-repair. ANG-3777 is designed to address this challenging mismatch, supplementing endogenous HGF during peak c-MET receptor expression.
Product detail in the report…
Teprasiran (QPI-1002): Quark Pharmaceuticals
Teprasiran (QPI-1002) is a nuclease-resistant, synthetic double-stranded RNA oligonucleotide designed to temporarily inhibit the expression of the proapoptotic gene p53, via activation of the RNA interference (RNAi) pathway being developed by Quark Pharmaceuticals. Its development is based on the proprietary concept for temporary and reversible inhibition of p53 for therapeutic purposes. P53 is a stress-response gene activated by DNA damage, hypoxia, oxidative stress, and other conditions, leading to the induction of cell cycle arrest, cell senescence or apoptosis.
Product detail in the report…
ASP1128: Astellas Pharma
ASP1128 by Astellas Pharma is also known as MA-0217, is an investigational compound that is a potent and highly selective PPARδ modulator. ASP1128 has the potential to have protective effects on kidney cells that are under cellular stress following CABG/V surgery by promoting fatty acid oxidation in the mitochondria. Further, ASP1128 may have the potential to reduce systemic and local inflammatory responses and oxidative stress.
Product detail in the report…
Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Market Outlook
Acute kidney injury (AKI) or acute renal failure (AKI) is a condition characterized by minor or complete loss of kidney function due to a sudden injury to kidneys. AKI is different from chronic kidney disease, wherein the kidney function is lost over a period of time. The disease generally occurs as a complication of another serious disease and is more common in the geriatric population that suffers from various other diseases. The global burden of acute kidney injury has increased over the years. Among the 7 major markets, the United States has reported having maximum incident cases of AKI. Though the incident of AKI is high across the US, but the condition is often undiagnosed, ultimately leading to lower treatable pool (when compared to the total incident population of the disease) that contributes to the market size of AKI.
Currently there are no targeted pharmacotherapies approved for the treatment of AKI. At present, the therapeutic market size of acute kidney injury in the United States is mainly accounted by use of Renal Replacement Therapy (RRT) and off-label drugs which includes various classes such as ACE inhibitors, Angiotensin II-Receptor Blockers (ARBs), Diuretics and Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs).
The AKI market outlook of the report helps to build a detailed comprehension of the historic, current and forecasted AKI market trends by analyzing the impact of current therapies on the market, unmet needs, drivers and barriers, and demand of better technology.
This segment gives a thorough detail of AKI market trend of each marketed drug and late-stage pipeline therapy by evaluating their impact based on annual cost of therapy, inclusion and exclusion criteria’s, mechanism of action, compliance rate, growing need of the market, increasing patient pool, covered patient segment, expected launch year, competition with other therapies, brand value, their impact on the market and view of the key opinion leaders. The calculated market data are presented with relevant tables and graphs to give a clear view of the market at first sight.
According to DelveInsight, AKI 7MM market is expected to change in the study period 2017–2030.
This section includes a glimpse of the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) 7MM market.
- There is no cure of AKI and the current treatment is aimed to manage the underlying cause and prognosis of AKI.
- Conventional therapies such as drugs to manage blood pressure, fluid overload and cardiac output, to stabilize hemodynamic and oxygenation parameters, glycemic control, nutritional support to reduce the severity of AKI are frequently used in manageable cases of AKI whereas in critically ill patients RRT therapies are recommended.
- The market size of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) in the seven major markets was USD 4,082.95 billion in 2017 for the study period (2017–2030).
- The United States accounts for the largest market size of AKI in comparison to the EU5 (the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, France, and Spain) and Japan
The United States Market Outlook
This section provides the total Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market size and market size by therapies in the United States.
EU-5 Countries: Market Outlook
The total Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market size and market size by therapies in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom is provided in this section.
Japan Market Outlook
The total Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market size and market size by therapies in Japan is also mentioned.
Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Drugs Uptake
This section focusses on the rate of uptake of the potential drugs recently launched in the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market or expected to get launched in the market during the study period 2017-2030. The analysis covers Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market uptake by drugs; patient uptake by therapies; and sales of each drug.
This helps in understanding the drugs with the most rapid uptake, reasons behind the maximal use of new drugs and allow the comparison of the drugs on the basis of market share and size which again will be useful in investigating factors important in market uptake and in making financial and regulatory decisions.
Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Pipeline Development Activities
The report provides insights into different therapeutic candidates in Phase II, and Phase III stage. It also analyses Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) key players involved in developing targeted therapeutics.
Pipeline Development Activities
The report covers the detailed information of collaborations, acquisition and merger, licensing, patent details and other information for Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) emerging therapies.
Reimbursement Scenario in Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
Approaching reimbursement proactively can have a positive impact both during the late stages of product development and well after product launch. In a report, we take reimbursement into consideration to identify economically attractive indications and market opportunities. When working with finite resources, the ability to select the markets with the fewest reimbursement barriers can be a critical business and price strategy.
To keep up with current market trends, we take KOLs and SME's opinion working in Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) domain through primary research to fill the data gaps and validate our secondary research. Their opinion helps to understand and validate current and emerging therapies treatment patterns or Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market trend. This will support the clients in potential upcoming novel treatment by identifying the overall scenario of the market and the unmet needs.
Competitive Intelligence Analysis
We perform Competitive and Market Intelligence analysis of the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Market by using various Competitive Intelligence tools that include - SWOT analysis, PESTLE analysis, Porter's five forces, BCG Matrix, Market entry strategies etc. The inclusion of the analysis entirely depends upon the data availability.
Scope of the Report
- The report covers the descriptive overview of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI), explaining its causes, signs and symptoms, pathophysiology, diagnosis and currently available therapies
- Comprehensive insight has been provided into the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) epidemiology and treatment in the 7MM
- Additionally, an all-inclusive account of both the current and emerging therapies for Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) are provided, along with the assessment of new therapies, which will have an impact on the current treatment landscape
- A detailed review of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market; historical and forecasted is included in the report, covering drug outreach in the 7MM
- The report provides an edge while developing business strategies, by understanding trends shaping and driving the global Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market
- In the coming years, Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market is set to change due to the rising awareness of the disease, and incremental healthcare spending across the world; which would expand the size of the market to enable the drug manufacturers to penetrate more into the market.
- The companies and academics are working to assess challenges and seek opportunities that could influence Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) R&D. The therapies under development are focused on novel approaches to treat/improve the disease condition.
- Major players such as Exponential Biotherapies, Alloksys, Angion Biomedica, Quark Pharmaceuticals Astellas Pharma and others are involved in developing therapies for Acute Kidney Injury (AKI). Launch of emerging therapies such as ANG-3777 (BB3) by Angion Biomedica will significantly impact the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market due to the promising clinical trial results. The 28-patient study showed ANG-3777 improved kidney function, based on patients’ estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR), a key renal function metric. The drug also boosted urine output, caused no adverse events and may have reduced transplant failures. On the other hand, another major key player Quark Pharmaceuticals is a leader in the discovery and development of novel RNAi-based therapeutics for meeting unmet medical needs in AKI.
- Our in-depth analysis of the pipeline assets across different stages of development (phase III and phase II), different emerging trends and comparative analysis of pipeline products with detailed clinical profiles, key cross-competition, launch date along with product development activities will support the clients in the decision-making process regarding their therapeutic portfolio by identifying the overall scenario of the research and development activities.
Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Report Insights
- Patient Population
- Therapeutic Approaches
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Pipeline Analysis
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Market Size and Trends
- Market Opportunities
- Impact of upcoming Therapies
Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Report Key Strengths
- Eleven Years Forecast
- 7MM Coverage
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Epidemiology Segmentation (The segmentation consists of wider landscape covering different scenarios for developing the AKI model)
- The report covers Stage-Wise Discharge Diagnosed Cases of Acute Kidney Injury, which includes stages of AKI such as Stage I, Stage II and Stage III. Out of all the stages, Stage II showed the highest diagnosed discharge cases of AKI.
- The report also include Risk Factor Associated Acute Kidney Injury Cases, wherein several risk factors such as Coronary artery disease, Chronic kidney disease, Chronic lung disease, Sepsis, Cardiac surgery, etc are throroughly studied.
- An important segment of the report, i.e., Renal Transplantation Associated Delayed Graft Function provides scenario of Delayed Graft Function cases who undergo Renal Transplantation.
- Key Cross Competition
- Highly Analyzed Market
- Drugs Uptake
Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Report Assessment
- Current Treatment Practices
- Unmet Needs
- Pipeline Product Profiles
- Market Attractiveness
- Market Drivers and Barriers
- What was the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market share (%) distribution in 2017 and how it would look like in 2030?
- What would be the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) total market size as well as market size by therapies across the 7MM during the forecast period (2017-2030)?
- What are the key findings pertaining to the market across 7MM and which country will have the largest Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market size during the forecast period (2017-2030)?
- At what CAGR, the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market is expected to grow in 7MM during the forecast period (2017-2030)?
- What would be the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market outlook across the 7MM during the forecast period (2017-2030)?
- What would be the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market growth till 2030, and what will be the resultant market Size in the year 2030?
- How would the market drivers, barriers and future opportunities affect the market dynamics and subsequent analysis of the associated trends?
- What is the disease risk, burden and unmet needs of the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)?
- What is the historical Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) patient pool in seven major markets covering the United States, EU5 (Germany, Spain, France, Italy, UK), and Japan?
- What would be the forecasted patient pool of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) in seven major markets covering the United States, EU5 (Germany, Spain, France, Italy, UK), and Japan?
- What will be the growth opportunities in the 7MM with respect to the patient population pertaining to Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)?
- Out of all 7MM countries, which country would have the highest prevalent population of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) during the forecast period (2017-2030)?
- At what CAGR the population is expected to grow in 7MM during the forecast period (2017-2030)?
Current Treatment Scenario, Marketed Drugs and Emerging Therapies:
- What are the current options for the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) treatment, along with the approved therapy?
- What are the current treatment guidelines for the treatment of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) in the USA, Europe, and Japan?
- What are the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) marketed drugs and their MOA, regulatory milestones, product development activities, advantages, disadvantages, safety and efficacy, etc.?
- How many companies are developing therapies for the treatment of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)?
- How many therapies are developed by each company for Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) treatment?
- How many are emerging therapies in mid-stage, and late stage of development for Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) treatment?
- What are the key collaborations (Industry - Industry, Industry - Academia), Mergers and acquisitions, licensing activities related to the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) therapies?
- What are the recent novel therapies, targets, mechanisms of action and technologies developed to overcome the limitation of existing therapies?
- What are the clinical studies going on for Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) and their status?
- What are the key designations that have been granted for the emerging therapies for Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)?
- What are the global historical and forecasted market of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)?
Reasons to buy
- The report will help in developing business strategies by understanding trends shaping and driving the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market
- To understand the future market competition in the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market and Insightful review of the key market drivers and barriers
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) in the US, Europe (Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and the United Kingdom) and Japan
- Identification of strong upcoming players in the market will help in devising strategies that will help in getting ahead of competitors
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market
- To understand the future market competition in the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) market
What is Acute Kidney Injury?
Acute Kidney Injury or Acute Renal Failure is defined as an abrupt decline in renal function, clinically manifesting as a reversible acute increase in nitrogen waste products measured by blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and serum creatinine levels over the course of hours to weeks.
What was the Acute Kidney Injury market size in the 7 major markets in 2017?
The market size of AKI in the 7 MM was observed to be USD 4,082.95 Billion in 2017.
Which geography accounted for the largest Acute Kidney Injury market size?
Among the 7MM, the US accounts for the maximum market share in the overall market size of AKI in 2017.
What are the emerging therapies in the Acute Kidney Injury market?
Acute Kidney Injury Pipeline products such as ANG-3777 (BB3; Angion Biomedica), QPI1002 (Quark Pharmaceutical), ASP1128 (Astellas Pharma), MB-102 (MediBeacon), Ruconest (Conestat alfa; PharmingTechnologies), recAP (AM Pharma), bRESCAP (Alloksys), Reltecimod (Atox Bio), EA-230 (Exponential Biotherapies) and Simdax (Levosimendan; Orion Pharma) are anticipated to bring shift Acute kidney injury market positively.
Which are the leading companies in Acute Kidney Injury market?
Key companies such as BB3; Angion Biomedica, Quark Pharmaceutical, Astellas Pharma, MediBeacon, Conestat alfa; PharmingTechnologies, AM Pharma, Alloksys, Atox Bio, Exponential Biotherapies, and Levosimendan; Orion Pharma are working fiercely to develop therapies in Acute kidney injury market.
Which therapy is expected to grab the maximum share in Acute Kidney Injury market during the study period 2017-30?
Out of all the emerging key therapies, ANG-3777 (Angion Biomedica) and QPI1002 (Quark Pharmaceuticals) are expected to grab maximum share of Acute kidney injury market.