Jul 23 Recent Pharma News

Pharma week | FDA approval for generics Lyrica; CRH Medical Corp. majority purchase of Crystal River Anesthesia; FDA thumbs up for Myxredlin; Salarius conclusion of the merger with Flex Pharma

Generic Lyrica: FDA nods to first generic alternatives to Pfizer’s Lyrica

The U.S. FDA has approved the first generic substitute of Pfizer’s Lyrica (pregabalin) in its commitment to facilitate the access of high-quality generic medicines at lower prices to patients. Lyrica is the second most selling drug of the Pfizer, whose patent expired on December 30, 2018. Another six-month extension of the patent further delayed the launch of generic versions of the drug.
The approval of nine generic versions of the drug, Lyrica, is for the administration in patients struggling with neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy, postherpetic neuralgia, fibromyalgia and neuropathic pain associated with spinal cord injury. Lyrica is also used as adjunctive therapy for the treatment of partial-onset seizures. Pharma giants namely Alembic Pharmaceuticals, Alkem Laboratories, Amneal Pharmaceuticals, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, InvaGen Pharmaceuticals, MSN Laboratories Ltd., Rising Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Sciegen Pharmaceuticals Inc., and Teva Pharmaceuticals received the approval of the drug. The drug, however, is dispensed with utmost care as it may cause some grave allergic reactions, and can even result in suicidal thoughts in a small number of patients.

CRH Medical Corporation acquires a majority stake in Crystal River Anesthesia

CRH Medical Corporation, a service provider of anesthesia services within Gastroenterology (G.I.), has acquired 51% interest in Crystal River Anesthesia Associates, LLC. Crystal River is a Florida-based medical group practice ensuring anesthesia services to two G.I. ambulatory surgery centres with n estimated revenue of USD 1.6 Million annually. The transaction was financed through an amalgamation of CRH’s credit facility and cash on hand. The acquisition of Crystal River marks the fifth anesthesia acquisition of CRH in the state of Florida and 23rd in the USA.
CRH Medical Corporation is a North American based commercial healthcare company exclusively focused on providing innovative products and services for advancing gastrointestinal diseases therapy market.

Baxter’s Myxredlin- the first and only Ready-To-Use Insulin for IV Infusion wins FDA approval

Baxter has won FDA’s approval for Myxredlin – the first ready-to-use insulin for IV infusion. The product is an insulin human in 0.9% sodium chloride Injection administered as short-acting human insulin to improve glycemic control in pediatric patients living with diabetes mellitus and adults.
Myxredlin comes with an extended shelf life of 30 days at room temperature and if refrigerated, for 24 months enclosed in a carton to protect from light. Administered in a standardized concentration of 100 units/100 mL in a flexible plastic container ensures a consistent, steady concentration with every administration, which along with guaranteeing patient safety, helps streamline workflow for pharmacists and nurses in acute care settings.

Salarius Pharmaceuticals announces the closing of Strategic Merger with Flex Pharma

Salarius Pharmaceuticals, a pharma company targeting epigenetic causes of cancers, has announced the conclusion of its merger with a wholly-owned subsidiary, Flex Pharma. After the completion of the definitive merger agreement, started in January 2019, Flex Pharma will now operate as Salarius Pharmaceuticals, Inc. The combined entities will work to advance further the clinical pipeline of Salarius to target rare, orphan cancers, which at present lack standard treatment therapy.
Salarius Pharmaceuticals, in a private placement, recently completed USD 6.4 Million which the company plans to use for the management of the combined company along with the cash influx from Flex Pharma. After the final transaction, Flex Pharma will hold 19.9% whereas the Salarius will own the remaining 80.1% of the combined entity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.