- 7 million people are living with HIV, 40% don’t know their status
- New HIV infections among children have declined by 50% since 2010.
- The incidence of HIV/AIDS is increasing among young gay men.
- UNAIDS released a report showing 18.2 million people are now on antiretroviral therapy. However, it found women aged between 15 and 24 were at great risk.
- The number of people living with HIV on antiretroviral therapy has increased by about a third, 3 million more than the 15 million by 2014.
- In high income countries, 31% of people living with HIV are now over the age of 50 due to antiretroviral therapy.
- Recent updated UNAIDS estimates indicate that US$ 26.2 billion will be required for the AIDS response in 2020, with US$ 23.9 billion required in 2030.
- Brazil represents the largest number of people living with HIV in Latin America at 47%. Worldwide, it is one of 15 countries which represent 75% of the global number of people living with HIV.
- Western and central Africa are current areas of concern – they account for 18% of people living with HIV. Lack of treatment access means the area also accounts for 30% of all Aids-related deaths globally
- In June 2016, GSK made a groundbreaking deal to make the HIV drug Tivicay available for Botswana’s national effort to test and treat as many citizens as possible.
- Cipla offers free antiretroviral technology to any African nation looking to produce their own drugs. In 2001, India’s Cipla had introduced the world’s first 3-in-1 fixed dose combination (Stavudine, Lamivudine, and Nevirapine). Now, a third of people living with HIV in 115 countries are taking this drug.
- Gilead Sciences Inc. has begun marketing its HIV treatment Truvada to prevent infection with the virus that causes AIDS.
On World AIDS Day…
Dec 01, 2016 | Reading Time: < 1 minute
Marijuana as a treatment approach
Jan 08, 2020
Cannabis sativa or Cannabis indica is commonly known as Medical marijuana or cannabis (cannabinoids) are prescribed b...
Sep 05, 2018
Merck & Company virology business is flickering, after announcing two of its new HIV medications that bagged appr...
Sign Up and Stay Informed
Penetrative insights and rich analysis of Pharma, Biotech and MedTech space.
What is Gene Therapy and Is the Skin Suitable for Gene Therapy? Since its first discove...
Heart failure (HF), also referred to as Congestive Heart failure (CHF), is a condition ...
In advanced cancer patients, the most common site for the occurrence of metastasis is c...
Depression is a mental condition characterized by prolonged series of poor moods, loss ...
Myasthenia Gravis is an autoimmune disease that causes muscle weakness and fatigue. It ...