- 7 million people are living with HIV, 40% don’t know their status
- New HIV infections among children have declined by 50% since 2010.
- The incidence of HIV/AIDS is increasing among young gay men.
- UNAIDS released a report showing 18.2 million people are now on antiretroviral therapy. However, it found women aged between 15 and 24 were at great risk.
- The number of people living with HIV on antiretroviral therapy has increased by about a third, 3 million more than the 15 million by 2014.
- In high income countries, 31% of people living with HIV are now over the age of 50 due to antiretroviral therapy.
- Recent updated UNAIDS estimates indicate that US$ 26.2 billion will be required for the AIDS response in 2020, with US$ 23.9 billion required in 2030.
- Brazil represents the largest number of people living with HIV in Latin America at 47%. Worldwide, it is one of 15 countries which represent 75% of the global number of people living with HIV.
- Western and central Africa are current areas of concern – they account for 18% of people living with HIV. Lack of treatment access means the area also accounts for 30% of all Aids-related deaths globally
- In June 2016, GSK made a groundbreaking deal to make the HIV drug Tivicay available for Botswana’s national effort to test and treat as many citizens as possible.
- Cipla offers free antiretroviral technology to any African nation looking to produce their own drugs. In 2001, India’s Cipla had introduced the world’s first 3-in-1 fixed dose combination (Stavudine, Lamivudine, and Nevirapine). Now, a third of people living with HIV in 115 countries are taking this drug.
- Gilead Sciences Inc. has begun marketing its HIV treatment Truvada to prevent infection with the virus that causes AIDS.
On World AIDS Day…
Dec 01, 2016 | Reading Time: < 1 minute
Sanofi’s Rare Disease Drug Xenpozyme’...
Mar 29, 2022
Sanofi’s Rare Disease Drug Xenpozyme Wins World’s First Approval in Japan Sanofi’s Xenpozyme, also known as olipudase...
Top Drugs To Watch in HIV (2025)
Nov 19, 2021
Human Immunodeficiency Virus or HIV is a species of Lentivirus (genus of retrovirus) that attacks the body’s immune s...
Sign Up and Stay Informed
Penetrative insights and rich analysis of Pharma, Biotech and MedTech space.
Patent protection and expiration is one of the hot topics in the healthcare industry. P...
Food Allergies is a major concern for a wide spectrum of populations globally. Accordin...
Bone densitometers are the diagnostic systems with an enhanced X-ray technology known a...
Today, the most important factor affecting the world’s economy is the Global Pharmaceut...
It's no longer startling to learn that the best-performing surgeon at a hospital isn't ...